MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Get the album "MGMT" on iTunes, CD, or vinyl here. Album includes the "Optimizer" listening and viewing experience.

Author Topic: I've recorded some songs. Please tell me what you think!  (Read 2586 times)

Kwanza

• View Profile
I've recorded some songs. Please tell me what you think!
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:39:36 AM »

Hay guys.

I'm going to try and avoid this looking like a shameless plug for my music. I've been writing music for a while now and finally got around to get some of it recorded. Going to be handing it out at my open mics and shows for a little promotion, eventually selling it for a 'set-your-own-price' sorta deal. I'd like to get all your opinions on the tracks.

2 YEARS - YEVLUMEEL

TL;DR, SONG LISTENING LINK HERE:
http://bitly.com/jZPRJU

WHAT IS IT ACTUALLY ABOUT?
I'd honestly prefer not to entirely discuss it. Why? It's more fun for people to make their own connections and meanings for the lyrics and the song.

WHY IS YOUR DEMO ONLY 3 SONGS LONG?
I don't really know the normal length of demos. The demo is actually more like 4 songs, one song is around 10 minutes long. The runtime of the demo in total will be about 20 minutes, which I wouldn't consider bad. A lot of albums I've listened to lately run around 40-50 minutes.
2-3 songs is also the criteria for many of the Canadian artist grant programs that are offered here.
We were recently accepted for a local grant of $10,000 to record the full album.

WHY IS IT CALLED '2 YEARS'?
The demo is exactly 1/3 of the full album I've written called '6 Years'. Why is it called '6 Years'? After I wrote the songs, it kind of came to me how they were all connected. They were all about similar situations but from entirely new viewpoints and perspectives. Its funny how different a person's mindset is from year-to-year, let alone day-to-day. The album is almost a chronological poem about my life and growth over the past 6 years. That sounds a lot more painful and lame than it actually is, I promise.

SO, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! Criticism helps, but saying things like 'this song only has two chords' doesn't. I know that two of the songs do stick to one or two chord progressions. The songs evolved organically and if I didn't feel that they needed another progression, that's what happened. That said, you can feel free to evaluate the songs as a whole. Try and give a little more detail into it though than the comment mentioned above.

Destrokk.

• Robots don't let robots drink alone.
    • View Profile
Re: I've recorded some songs. Please tell me what you think!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »

dis is tight yo.

Kwanza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »

Thank you! An update to showcase one other song I've put up..
http://soundcloud.com/yevlumeel/i-see-fame

Kwanza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:47:20 PM »

I'd just like to bump this thread way up to give an update on everything.

The past few months have been pretty unreal. CD sold fairly well on iTunes, even holding the #7 spot on Singer/Songwriter for a couple days, which I did not expect. I haven't made a career out of it yet or anything, but it's more success than I could have imagined.

We're putting together a live show right now, just in the middle of recruiting a drummer.

We've also got a new song coming out HOPEFULLY on June 21st. It's called 'Sweet Summer'. More details on that for anyone who cares will be out soon.

And some even bigger news, we phoned up a couple weeks ago regarding our CD and have been selected to receive a $10,000 grant to record a CD for 2012. Pretty unreal.

I hope everyone who listened enjoyed the CD and the music and if you want more, believe me, it's coming! If you haven't heard it yet and you're curious, check it out here: http://bit.ly/jZPRJU - free streaming/download link.

Hope this bump isn't uncalled for!

Grace25

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »

Let this serve as an additional bump on the thread.  It's the least I can do for such a great artist.  I heard a few of your songs and can't wait for more.  Will you be putting out another album soon?  With your talent and your good digital sales I bet it will not be long before I see your cd being sold at retail stores such as hhgregg!  Keep up the good work  :)

Nick Brink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:17:09 PM »

This is awesome man! I'm about halfway through song one and I have to say, great stuff man! Top notch recording quality as well! :D
interviewer:    What word is it?
Andrew: REEAALLL
interview: Ahh so it's to differentiate from all the fake Andrew's out there
Andrew: Yeah it's for when the robots take over

Kwanza

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »

Whoa, people actually responded to this... thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed.

Going in to record at the end of April. Will update when done!