MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29  All

Author Topic: MGMT's MUSICAL ORBIT  (Read 158681 times)

kerrigwen

• ~ Powered by Tetley ~
    • View Profile
    • Aliens!
Re: MGMT's MUSICAL ORBIT
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2010, 12:28:44 AM »

Awesome thread! <3

I always have it in the back of my mind (or sometimes at the front) that since MGMT are the only band/artist that I've ever srsly loved the music of, I ought to try giving their loves a thorough listen, at least once. It seems like a monumental task though, like a giant ocean of music that I'm unaware of and I'm always like, "where the hell would I start o_O" - it's overwhelming to even think about beginning.  This thread is perfect for that. :-* ^_^

(may I suggest though, that within each category everything be alphabetized? I don't have OCD or anything, I swear.)

p.s. I think they remixed Chairlift's "Evident Utensil". :)
~ I got soul, but I'm not a soldier ~

"They are like a peanut butter & jam sandwhich; without the jam the peanut butter would be incomplete." (- ?, on Andrew & Ben)

Purplebash

• Seeing is not like belief
    • View Profile
    • Not Enough Hype
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2010, 12:36:47 AM »

I don't see many similarities between the two, either, I can just see fans of one liking the other.

Oh and I'm the same! I'm very open minded about music but cuz pf that people always say 'look up blah' and I get this long list of needed Googlings. =/

"But you have to wonder really, how popular are cinnamon roles in the west indies?"

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »

It's so cool that you did this :) I always here tidbits of their inspirations, favourite artists etc. and collect them in all sorts of strange places :P.
Thank you for making this is! :D

You are welcome, I am glad you like it.

Awesome thread! <3

I always have it in the back of my mind (or sometimes at the front) that since MGMT are the only band/artist that I've ever srsly loved the music of, I ought to try giving their loves a thorough listen, at least once. It seems like a monumental task though, like a giant ocean of music that I'm unaware of and I'm always like, "where the hell would I start o_O" - this thread is purrrfect. :-* ^_^

(may I suggest though, that within each category everything be alphabetized? I don't have OCD or anything, I swear.)

p.s. I think they remixed Chairlift's "Evident Utensil". :)

I completely agree that it's a monumental task.  It was even more overwhelming when I didn't have it organized so that's why we started this.  Wow, and I thought I had OCD  ;) as you may be able to tell with my organization of the list, but the fact that it's not in alphabetical order doesn't really bother me.  Plus it wouldn't really even organize it all that much more since artists would go by last name and then bands by the first letter. They are kind of in order according to the source that I found them in so I want to leave them like that for now, but I think that alphabetizing them isn't a bad request and we can do that in the future. 

As for the Chairlift remix...Since Chairlift is on here several times I didn't think it needs it's own category yet.  It wasn't intended to list out all the different music categories, but instead to cover all the different artists/songs and then categorize those.  I hope that all made sense.   
Lay by me and we'll erode as gently as we can into twilight

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 12:58:18 AM »

I love this all so much... the thread, feedback, everything. I get a lot of my music from things like this.
I wonder if they like Arcade Fire. Cuz in an interview once they were asked something like 'What's a band people compare you to that you don't think seems correct' and they said Arcade Fire. I wasn't sure if that meant they liked 'em or not xD Anyone wanna do the digging? lol
Well, Dan [Treharne]'s a fan. I remember that interview though - I think the question was, "Which band/artist do you not like being compared to?"
I don't think of AF sounding very similar to MGMT at all, but when Suburbs (II) was out everyone was like, "it sounds like Time to Pretend!" I couldn't (still can't) hear the similarity though.

I don't hear it either..the only similarity is that they both make awesome music LOL
All veils and misty   Streets of blue   Almond looks  That chill divine   Some silken moment  Goes on forever 
 And we're leaving broken hearts behind

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 01:02:29 AM »

I love this all so much... the thread, feedback, everything. I get a lot of my music from things like this.
I wonder if they like Arcade Fire. Cuz in an interview once they were asked something like 'What's a band people compare you to that you don't think seems correct' and they said Arcade Fire. I wasn't sure if that meant they liked 'em or not xD Anyone wanna do the digging? lol
Well, Dan [Treharne]'s a fan. I remember that interview though - I think the question was, "Which band/artist do you not like being compared to?"
I don't think of AF sounding very similar to MGMT at all, but when Suburbs (II) was out everyone was like, "it sounds like Time to Pretend!" I couldn't (still can't) hear the similarity though.

I don't hear it either..the only similarity is that they both make awesome music LOL

Agreed.  They are nothing alike but at the same time two of my favorites.  I do recall the interview where they stated that they didn't like being compared to Arcade Fire but they never mentioned why so I'm not going to assume anything past that.  I don't think they've ever addressed it since then.

fido

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »

I remember them saying that they are influenced by Stereolab and the mamas and the papas

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »

I remember them saying that they are influenced by Stereolab and the mamas and the papas

you are correct

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »

Thank you!  They have been added.  :)

fido

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »

thank you, this thread is so lovely bb!

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »

thank you, this thread is so lovely bb!
You're lovely too ;) So much love going around in this thread, it makes me happy.  I especially like that people are digging it because Andrew has said on several occasions that he appreciates the position he is in...where he can spread the word about his own musical influences and artists that he loves.

kristeenuh

• HERP DERP
    • View Profile
    • Facebizzle
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »

Wow. This thread is kind of really awesome!
"Who the hell is Oscar Mayer and WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT TO BE HIS WIENER?!" - my friend Roshni

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »

Wow. This thread is kind of really awesome!
Thanks dear ;D

SmilingGnome

• View Profile
Re: MGMT's Musical Orbit
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »

Wow great thread :) I love to read about their favourite music because I always discover good music through MGMT's influences. Bruce Haack should definitely be added to the list,. I also know that James likes an album called Surfer Rosa, by the Pixies wich he mentioned in an interview. Here's also a good article with a playlist from Ben: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/11/playlist-mgmt-ben-goldwasser/

I've had this same experience. This thread is the best thing ever.

Also I'm absolutely sure that one of them in some interview mentioned the Black Angels. I know because I checked them out after seeing that and  really liked them (saw them live last month). I think it was James, and I think he named it as a band that he would like to have open for MGMT, and I think he said that maybe MGMT should open for them (I think this was an early interview).

... found it: http://www.thathottness.com/blog/the-interview-james-richardson-of-mgmt/
also mentions the Brian Jonestown Massacre

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
Re: MGMT's Musical Orbit
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »

Wow great thread :) I love to read about their favourite music because I always discover good music through MGMT's influences. Bruce Haack should definitely be added to the list,. I also know that James likes an album called Surfer Rosa, by the Pixies wich he mentioned in an interview. Here's also a good article with a playlist from Ben: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/11/playlist-mgmt-ben-goldwasser/

I've had this same experience. This thread is the best thing ever.

Also I'm absolutely sure that one of them in some interview mentioned the Black Angels. I know because I checked them out after seeing that and  really liked them (saw them live last month). I think it was James, and I think he named it as a band that he would like to have open for MGMT, and I think he said that maybe MGMT should open for them (I think this was an early interview).

Best thread ever?!?  You are too kind.  Sounds good, I will add The Black Angels and Brian Jonestown Massacre to the "enjoys" section right now.  Thanks for the addition.

Purplebash

• Seeing is not like belief
    • View Profile
    • Not Enough Hype
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2010, 11:16:53 PM »

Seriously, it's organized, unique, helpful, and easy to refer back to if you're like 'What's that one band they toured with?' I appreciate it tons :)

"But you have to wonder really, how popular are cinnamon roles in the west indies?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29  All