MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Do you like the idea of a self-titled album?

Yes
- 171 (69.8%)
Undecided
- 35 (14.3%)
No
- 39 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 141

Author Topic: The 3rd Album self-titled MGMT  (Read 324470 times)

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
Re: The 3rd Album self-titled MGMT
« Reply #1890 on: September 21, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »

did you really have to quote that?

fixed

Troll is gone now.....

It's never good to feed the trolls......stay away ....far far away.

And thank you to LaLuna for deleting the post <3

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*

epic

• View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 21, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »

in 'Cool song no. 2' the stanza that includes this lyric "wherever scientists turn lead to birds" I can't help but think this song has something to do with the government and the NSA and what not.  Turning lead to birds = drones? "what you find shocking, they find amusing"...
"Frailagility of fame and the sensitivity of frail egos"

Gelatinous

• emperors of history fall to their knees
    • View Profile
    • Tumblrland
« Reply #1892 on: September 21, 2013, 03:01:57 PM »

in 'Cool song no. 2' the stanza that includes this lyric "wherever scientists turn lead to birds" I can't help but think this song has something to do with the government and the NSA and what not.  Turning lead to birds = drones? "what you find shocking, they find amusing"...

I think it has to do with genetic modification of food, animals and humans. That's just what I got from it though.

Something tells me that splicing animal DNA into our food with cause some latent dysfunctions.

Daisy :)

• View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 21, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »

I do take the lyrics to say about the same. But I'm definitely the anti government conspiracy theorist type.
But that's another thing I love so much about the lyrics.
They're cryptic in a way that they could mean something different to every person.

Moleh424

• View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 22, 2013, 02:54:06 AM »

notice all the "s"'s andrew uses on mystery disease. thats what gives the lyrics such a menacing tone. And anyone notice in i love you too, death that andrew says "resend pigeons that were sent" then "try to memorize your smell". sent- scent get it?  and i think when he says "winter's 5 feet tall" he's saying winter's short. and in a good sadness i prefer to think he says "tuna melt" in that middle part.   

just some things i've noticed after listening about 15 times. I really think they've made a deep alum that reveals different doors to you over getting more familiar with it that really can't be fully appreciated in the modern review system of a couple of listens then rating  on some number scale. i really haven't even heard any good reasons by these reviewers as to how it's "bad" it's more of a consensus that it's confusing and disorienting or too harsh but isn't that the point of art to challenge your sense of comfortability? sorry, rambling...

manolololo

• View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 22, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »

ok, so i've been listening to this album on my good headphones for a while now, but last night was the first time i got to listen to it fairly loudly on a really good sound system, and here are my thoughts:

this album is expansive as fuck. the songs are almost all exclusively huge sounding, and that's pretty awesome, but i do miss the softer moments from their older albums. like, even in this album's smallest moments, such as the beginning of i Love You too, death, there's this huge hall slash infinity open space kind of feel.

this album seems way more to me like a sequel to oracular spectacular than congratulations, imho, and i guess that's due to the fridds being behind the controls, but also to the much more electronic instrumentation. it's cool, oracular is awesome, but i would be sad if the sound of congratulations was just a diversion in their discography.

very few of the songs on this album are songs that i would listen to on their own. that being said, this album definitely has its own sequence, and much like congrats it feels like an album that has to be listened to all the way through to really get the full experience.

optimizer is just trippy visuals and unless i'm on psychotropic substances, is a take it or leave it experience.

speaking of psychotropics, i need to score some to listen to it in such a state, as well as for their fun fun fun fest set, because i feel like they are one of the few modern bands that truly fully encompasses the psychedelic feel of bygone eras (the flaming lips, dumbo gets mad, tame impala, of Montreal are a few others).

this album does have classic MGMT tracks, though, and plenty of girls and cool song no 2 are fucking great. also, fuck yeah orphan of fortune, their moodiest and most badass outro yet. also also, fuck yeah the very end of orphan of fortune, it is def one of their best musical moments ever.

anyway, i still think congratulations is their most superior work, but this album is definitely fucking great, and probably better than oracular spectacular. at least, i'm still finding things to discover in it and that in itself is awesome, so yeah. i wouldnt say its my album of the year, right now that is going to lousy with sylvianbriar, but its easily top ten, maybe top 5 (we'll see come december).

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 22, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »

I disagree about this being more akin to OS....I really do see it as a progression from Congratulations, but perhaps that has more to do with it being a whole body as opposed to ten individual tracks.  I get what you're saying about I Love You Too, Death.  I keep wanting it to be I Found a Whistle and it just never gets there. 

manolololo

• View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 22, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »

I get what you're saying about I Love You Too, Death.  I keep wanting it to be I Found a Whistle and it just never gets there.

that's exactly what it is. like it feels like that's how it should sound, but it just doesn't.

I disagree about this being more akin to OS....I really do see it as a progression from Congratulations, but perhaps that has more to do with it being a whole body as opposed to ten individual tracks

yeah, basically just the more electronic instrumentation and dave friddmann producing it than the actual songs is what reminds me of OS, and yeah i agree with you on the second point

Luna

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 23, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »

Anyone who got a corrupt file, please tell me what kind of computer/OS and browser you are using? You can PM me. Thanks!

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 23, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »

Send it to Luna in a pm (private message)
All veils and misty   Streets of blue   Almond looks  That chill divine   Some silken moment  Goes on forever 
 And we're leaving broken hearts behind

puredaze

• Tend to the void, don't just fill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: September 23, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »

Given the background of Mystery Disease... "Pain in a dress too revealing" = hospital gown?

"sunny's sunnies sonny son sun sunn l(o)l sing song. - Andrew VanWyngarden"

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 23, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »

Given the background of Mystery Disease... "Pain in a dress too revealing" = hospital gown?

That makes sense.  I was thinking of Spanx.

jk jk

puredaze

• Tend to the void, don't just fill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 23, 2013, 08:07:31 PM »

jk jk

The next obvious choice  :D

After this weekend this song is just speaking to me like never before; I can't stop listening to it. And the lyrics... don't even get me started.

"sunny's sunnies sonny son sun sunn l(o)l sing song. - Andrew VanWyngarden"

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 23, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »

jk jk

The next obvious choice  :D

After this weekend this song is just speaking to me like never before; I can't stop listening to it. And the lyrics... don't even get me started.

I just mentioned to Scotty yesterday that so far, it's my fave song live off of the new record.  And that sitar....

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 23, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »

I got my MGMT vinyl today :)
All veils and misty   Streets of blue   Almond looks  That chill divine   Some silken moment  Goes on forever 
 And we're leaving broken hearts behind
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 141