MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Do you like the idea of a self-titled album?

Yes
- 171 (69.8%)
Undecided
- 35 (14.3%)
No
- 39 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141]

Author Topic: The 3rd Album self-titled MGMT  (Read 336689 times)

gazellejetpack

• at least cynical
    • View Profile
Re: The 3rd Album self-titled MGMT
« Reply #2100 on: February 11, 2015, 12:24:45 AM »

Okay so i swear there is more to the art then we can see. Anyone have any ideas? If you have the vinyl the back has a weird textrue and a shadow pic of them. Also the sleeve has like little computer chip looking things for each track . And are their shirts digital? What does it all mean????

it's on the back of the CD case too, their shadow silhouettes.

The whole "staticy-computer-virus" theme throughout the booklet I think is just a reflection of the sounds of this album:
how the songs all sound very fuzzy, claustrophobic, overwhelming, and digital (if that makes sense).

As for their shirts, they're actually photoshopped (I thought they were real at first).
I remember someone posted the original photo a little while after the album came out and Ben's shirt
is actually plain white while Andrew's was white with some blue words on it (if anyone could post it that'd be cool.)

On a side note, does anyone remember shortly after the album was released that there was a listing for a "Stylz Unlimited T-shirt" on the merch site but when you clicked on it, it would say some like "available soon" and had no image? It ended up getting removed after a few months I believe. I always thought that was going to be fuzzy-datamosh shirt like the ones Ben and Andrew wore on the cover and was super disappointed when the listing disappeared with no explanation.

I think the bird cage is important. There was that photo of them inside of a thing that looked like a bird cage from Congratulations, but now they're outside the cage...

Psychedelic Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: February 11, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »

Okay so i swear there is more to the art then we can see. Anyone have any ideas? If you have the vinyl the back has a weird textrue and a shadow pic of them. Also the sleeve has like little computer chip looking things for each track . And are their shirts digital? What does it all mean????

The whole "staticy-computer-virus" theme throughout the booklet I think is just a reflection of the sounds of this album:
how the songs all sound very fuzzy, claustrophobic, overwhelming, and digital (if that makes sense).

As for their shirts, they're actually photoshopped (I thought they were real at first).
I remember someone posted the original photo a little while after the album came out and Ben's shirt
is actually plain white while Andrew's was white with some blue words on it (if anyone could post it that'd be cool.)

On a side note, does anyone remember shortly after the album was released that there was a listing for a "Stylz Unlimited T-shirt" on the merch site but when you clicked on it, it would say some like "available soon" and had no image? It ended up getting removed after a few months I believe. I always thought that was going to be fuzzy-datamosh shirt like the ones Ben and Andrew wore on the cover and was super disappointed when the listing disappeared with no explanation.

I think the bird cage is important. There was that photo of them inside of a thing that looked like a bird cage from Congratulations, but now they're outside the cage...
thats a cool little observation!
1.2.free.4.

itsblurking

• what you find shocking, they find amusing
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Party's music
« Reply #2102 on: February 13, 2015, 10:24:18 PM »

Thanks Itsblurking :)

no problem.
I just enjoy hearing different people's interpretations of MGMT and comparing them to my own and they're the perfect band to do that with.

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: February 14, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »

Yep. That was my first thought when I saw it. I thought of the Gazebo and the quote, "What is a Gazebo if not a birdcage for humans?"  I think that was Ben on World Cafe. It's not a direct quote and I'm on a lot of meds these days. It's all foggy. 

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*

TristanTristan

• View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: February 20, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »

Seconding this request.

itsblurking

• View Profile
    • Imperial Party's music
« Reply #2105 on: February 26, 2015, 08:26:31 PM »

Seconding this request.

found it.
thanks to mysterydisease (mysterydisease.co.vu) from Tumblr.
if you're reading this, mysterydisease, it's 40chickenmcnuggets from Tumblr.

TristanTristan

• View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 04, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »

It kills me they never did play ILY2Death live this tour. :(

itsblurking

• View Profile
    • Imperial Party's music
« Reply #2107 on: March 04, 2015, 11:19:57 PM »

It kills me they never did play ILY2Death live this tour. :(

it kill us all. "ILYTD" and "An Orphan Of Fortune" were probably the easiest perform live of those jam-centric tracks, and I use the word ''easiest" very loosely cause I know they're very complex

TristanTristan

• View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: April 11, 2015, 02:10:49 AM »

So Andrew played ILY2D at City Winery last night.

TristanTristan

• View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: April 19, 2015, 05:50:12 AM »

And there's a short clip of it on Instagram: https://instagram.com/p/1UjBnmmnZe/

So good!

Psychedelic Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »

And there's a short clip of it on Instagram: https://instagram.com/p/1UjBnmmnZe/

So good!
this is really cool!... There is a cabinet of wonders section thing
1.2.free.4.

TheShadeTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: April 25, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »

I suggest all of you to read "The Secret of the Ages" by Robert Collier, it fits in with and enhances this album. Take it a teaspoon at a time though.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141]