MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Get the album "MGMT" on iTunes, CD, or vinyl here. Album includes the "Optimizer" listening and viewing experience.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Pink Floyd  (Read 26500 times)

flash delirious

• previously known as "flash delirious"
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 08:01:52 PM »

Wouldn't be cool if they re-released their albums on vinyl? The only one that is not out of print is The Dark Side Of The Moon. I want the rest on vinyl sooo bad!!!

Decsend and unveil the truth of your familiar.

The_Household_Cat

• Not if you were the last junkie on earth...
    • View Profile
    • Colin_in_Mexico
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 04:49:03 AM »

Atom Heart Mother through Animals + More

IMO peak = ~ Meddle
Meddle is a good choice.

I think the earliest stuff is my favouite era.

Cerque,

Are you aware that Dan Treacy wrote a song called, I Know Where Syd Barret Lives?
:o
There's a line in an Idlewild song saying "Syd Barrett makes me laugh". ;D Always good.

Wouldn't be cool if they re-released their albums on vinyl? The only one that is not out of print is The Dark Side Of The Moon. I want the rest on vinyl sooo bad!!!

I know a shop in Berlin where I bought my best friend "Meddle" on vinyl and they had lots more. But most of them were second hand. Or all. I didn't look that closely.

Thanks for opening the thread, Cerque. :)

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 09:10:26 AM »

It had to be done.

joseline2375

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 09:18:23 AM »

It's very Syd-like.

Ha.
 :P

Cerque,

Are you aware that Dan Treacy wrote a song called, I Know Where Syd Barret Lives?

flash delirious

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 04:45:31 PM »

I know that everybody in the whole universe already knows this, but I'm going to use it as a bumper!

The Dark Side of the Moon is the most successful album of all time. A study have conducted that one in every 20 people in the United States owns a copy of this album. The Dark Side of the Moon is also the 3rd the best selling album of all time, and the second best selling rock album (behind AC/DC's Back in Black). The Dark Side of the Moon was on the Billboard 200 for around 15 years at its initial release, longer than any other album.

The_Household_Cat

• View Profile
    • Colin_in_Mexico
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »

I know that everybody in the whole universe already knows this, but I'm going to use it as a bumper!

The Dark Side of the Moon is the most successful album of all time. A study have conducted that one in every 20 people in the United States owns a copy of this album. The Dark Side of the Moon is also the 3rd the best selling album of all time, and the second best selling rock album (behind AC/DC's Back in Black). The Dark Side of the Moon was on the Billboard 200 for around 15 years at its initial release, longer than any other album.
Oh, how I love these statistics.

Did you know that The Wall is the double-album that got written about the most in academic papers? Well, Wikipedia is my source, but I read it quite a while ago and it still sticks in my head. :D

3rd best selling album of all time? Now that is freaky. ^^

Anyhow... I need to give them a proper listen again, haven't done that for so long.

flash delirious

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »

Oh, how I love these statistics.

Did you know that The Wall is the double-album that got written about the most in academic papers? Well, Wikipedia is my source, but I read it quite a while ago and it still sticks in my head. :D

3rd best selling album of all time? Now that is freaky. ^^

Anyhow... I need to give them a proper listen again, haven't done that for so long.

There are a lot of interesting facts on Pink Floyd's albums, which is why their success is legendary.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Back in Black, it is one of the greatest hard rock achievements, but to me it is a shocker that Appetite for Destruction isn't the most successful hard rock album. I need to give it more rounds.

You should definitely listen to them again. Ever since I got my vinyl copy of The Dark Side of the Moon, I've been listening to it everyday.

The_Household_Cat

• View Profile
    • Colin_in_Mexico
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 06:10:53 AM »

I don't even know all of their albums. ;D I only listened to Umma Gumma once or twice. I love Roger's song. ^^ Several Species... It's brilliant and very very creepy. Weird guys... And anything after The Wall. I only know some songs off The Division Bell, my favourite is What Do You Want From Me? Might be progressive gospel. ;D That should be my new favourite musical genre. And then... I think I know one song off The Final Cut, but only subconsciously. I think it was on the radio one day and I recognized it.

The_Household_Cat

• View Profile
    • Colin_in_Mexico
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 06:22:19 AM »

The only Pink Floyd song I've ever really listened to is Wish You Were Here. I think I'll go DL some albums if there is that kind of hype of it.  :-\
Wish You Were Here is a good choice. ;D

Well, you can always try some new music out. :)

flash delirious

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »

I don't even know all of their albums. ;D I only listened to Umma Gumma once or twice. I love Roger's song. ^^ Several Species... It's brilliant and very very creepy. Weird guys... And anything after The Wall. I only know some songs off The Division Bell, my favourite is What Do You Want From Me? Might be progressive gospel. ;D That should be my new favourite musical genre. And then... I think I know one song off The Final Cut, but only subconsciously. I think it was on the radio one day and I recognized it.

I loved The Wall and The Divison Bell. As for The Final Cut, well, I need to listen to it again to decide. It's hard for me to choose a favorite Pink Floyd song since I usually listen to their albums as whole, rather than a choose a song or two.

You never listened to The Dark Side of the Moon, or Wish You Were Here, or Animals? You should! Start with The Dark Side of the Moon. ;D

The only Pink Floyd song I've ever really listened to is Wish You Were Here. I think I'll go DL some albums if there is that kind of hype of it. :(

You could always try other stuff by Pink Floyd. Wish You Were Here is a great song, but far from my favorite. Try to listen to their albums rather than song. They usually compose albums as a whole. Their albums are like...plotted, if that makes sense.

Cupcake

• Blame Yourself
    • View Profile
    • Cupcake Communism
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »

How did I not make this thread like a year ago? I WAS BORN FOR THIS THREAD!

fail

If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain.

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »

I love the lyricism and poetry in the words Syd used. simple yet powerful in imagery and sound. The words he used were almost sensual like you could smell what he was saying or feel it

" Moonshine, washing line " :D Genius!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQTFRq1hjtM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EQTFRq1hjtM</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/m_6PhexCMow" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/m_6PhexCMow</a>

Cupcake

• Blame Yourself
    • View Profile
    • Cupcake Communism
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »

I love syd. I think the band would have gone a very different direction were it not for what happenned. Poor poor Syd.

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »

I love syd. I think the band would have gone a very different direction were it not for what happenned. Poor poor Syd.
Nah, if he had stayed in the band he would have died. He wouldn't have been able to handle the fame, especially with the mental state he was in.

Pity really.

Cupcake

• Blame Yourself
    • View Profile
    • Cupcake Communism
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »

Nah, if he had stayed in the band he would have died. He wouldn't have been able to handle the fame, especially with the mental state he was in.

Pity really.
yet it made great material for songwriting. not too many other bands have one of their members go insane.
way to profit from madness, Rog.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11  All