MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Get the album "MGMT" on iTunes, CD, or vinyl here. Album includes the "Optimizer" listening and viewing experience.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Comic Con Private Show  (Read 5923 times)

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
Comic Con Private Show
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »

Comic-Con: MGMT, Grimes to Perform on an Aircraft Carrier

MGMT and Grimes are heading to San Diego's 2014 Comic-Con International, where MGMT will play a live set and Grimes will DJ at a party for CraveOnline on July 25. The event will take place aboard the USS Midway, an aircraft carrier docked adjacent to the Convention Center, and appropriately enough TNT's "The Last Ship" will sponsor.

Though Comic-Con has primarily been a destination for movie studios and TV networks to hype their latest franchises in recent years, it's become a rising priority for the music industry to capitalize on all the fan activity. Metallica played a surprise show last year in support of their pseudo-documentary "Metallica Through The Never," while VH1 Classic recruited Rob Zombie to play the first-ever Opening Party in 2012. Also on tap for Comic-Con 2014 are G-Eazy and Linkin Park, who will perform at MTV's Fan Fest on Thursday, July 24.

The CraveOnline event is produced and booked by Mirrored Media, an L.A.-based music marketing company that has previously paired Metric with Acura for a fall 2012 tour and mobile-charging brand Mophie with key festivals like Life Is Beautiful, Coachella and Lollapalooza.

MGMT are touring in support of their third album, "MGMT," which was released last September. Grimes has started teasing new material for her upcoming second album, including the single "Go," which was originally intended for Rihanna.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6150378/comic-con-mgmt-grimes-to-perform-aircraft-carrier-CraveOnline-2014

Someone you know may or may not be there  :-X

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*

Hunter Clark

• gone with the wind fabulous.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Comic Con Private Show
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:41:12 PM »

So wish I could be there, jelly of all who will be. ;) :)
6-18-10 8-14-10 10-29-10 11-4-10 4-29-11 7-13-13 11-27-13 5-17-14

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »

This sounds super cool and even my country is represented as Grimes is Canadian ;)
All veils and misty   Streets of blue   Almond looks  That chill divine   Some silken moment  Goes on forever 
 And we're leaving broken hearts behind

Sizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:19:26 PM »

That sounds fun  8)

puredaze

• Tend to the void, don't just fill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »

This is going to be so cool. Both my uncle and stepdad worked on this ship while in the Navy!

"sunny's sunnies sonny son sun sunn l(o)l sing song. - Andrew VanWyngarden"

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »

This is going to be so cool. Both my uncle and stepdad worked on this ship while in the Navy!

Ahhhh!  That's extremely cool!

I'm in the process of booking my flight right now.  I should've done it yesterday.  It's been bouncing all over the place for the past month, and it hit it's lowest yesterday.  Now it's back up.  Sooooo worth every dime!

shra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:11:23 PM »

This is the most magical thing I have ever heard, it sounds like it will be amazing, plus it's SAN DIEGO! ;D

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:57:44 AM »

i love this
station to station

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 07:07:27 PM »

I'm all booked.  I'll get the lay of the land and see if it's cool to take pics/video.  I always think of you guys, but I really want to be in the moment.  I'll do my best to snap a couple so you can see the set up, if it's cool to do that.  It may very well not be.

Bubble

• Mrs. Harrison at your service
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »

I'm so excited for you lala!  ;D

team matt.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »

I'm so excited for you lala!  ;D

Wish you could meet me there!!! :-*

Trahatokad

• People are people too, you know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 02:29:00 AM »

This is the day before my birthday

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »

"Also slated to appear over the course of its run, July 24-27, will be G-Eazy, MGMT, and Grimes, reports Billboard. Those last two won’t just be playing any party, they will be playing a party on board an actual aircraft carrier. The USS Midway is docked next to San Diego’s Convention Center and will provide the setting for CraveOnline’s Comic-Con party on July 25"  radio.com

I'm loving all of the hype around this.  I didn't expect that the press would even get ahold of it.  Any publicity is good publicity!!!

puredaze

• Tend to the void, don't just fill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 09:05:03 PM »

lala, do you plan on going around San Diego before/after the show??

"sunny's sunnies sonny son sun sunn l(o)l sing song. - Andrew VanWyngarden"

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 03:16:52 AM »

I'm staying in La Jolla, but I do have days on both sides of the show.

Psychedelic Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »

I'm staying in La Jolla, but I do have days on both sides of the show.
my girlfriends in la jolla right now!!
1.2.free.4.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/craveonline-and-tnts-the-last-ship-storm-comic-con-exclusive-concert-with-mgmt/

CraveOnline and TNT’s The Last Ship Storm Comic-Con, Exclusive Concert With MGMT

This summer, TNT is topping the charts with its new action-packed drama series The Last Ship, starring Eric Dane (Grey’s Anatomy) and executive-produced by blockbuster filmmaker Michael Bay (Transformers).

Airing Sundays at 9 p.m. (ET/PT), The Last Ship ranks as basic cable’s #1 new series so far this year. The show takes place in the midst of a global catastrophe that nearly decimates the world’s population. Because of its positioning, the Navy destroyer U.S.S. Nathan James avoids falling victim to the devastating tragedy. But now the crew and its captain must confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they may be among the few remaining survivors.

Dane stars as Captain Tom Chandler, a career Navy man who is authoritative and decisive, but also fair and courageous. A born leader and a loving father and husband, Chandler is respected and loved by the men and women under his command. The Last Ship also stars Rhona Mitra (Strike Back) as Rachel Scott, a strong-willed, intelligent and fearless paleomicrobiologist assigned to the Nathan James to investigate the cause of billions of deaths worldwide.

Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Chuck) is Slattery, the ship’s second-in-command who worries deeply about his family and occasionally clashes with Dane’s Captain Chandler over the best course of action. The series also stars Travis Van Winkle (Heart of Dixie), Charles Parnell (Pariah), Christina Elmore (Fruitvale Station), Sam Spruell (Snow White and The Huntsman) and Marissa Neitling (Leverage).

The Last Ship is based on William Brinkley’s popular novel and comes to TNT from Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes and its partners, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, whose credits include the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Bay, Fuller and Form serve as executive producers, along with showrunner Hank Steinberg (creator of Without a Trace, The Nine), Steven Kane (The Closer) and director Jack Bender (Lost).

MGMT - Optimus Alive 2014 Music Festival - Day 2 - Passeio Maritimo de Alges - Alges, Portugal  Photo copyright by Rui M. Leal / PRPhotos.com
MGMT – Optimus Alive 2014 Music Festival – Day 2 – Passeio Maritimo de Alges – Alges, Portugal Photo copyright by Rui M. Leal / PRPhotos.com
Now CraveOnline and TNT’s The Last Ship Storm Comic-Con by Sea with Exclusive Concert Event, Featuring MGMT and Grimes on the USS Midway

CraveOnline Conquers the Con, in conjunction with TNT’s The Last Ship. On Friday, July 25, select guests will board the Comic-Con-adjacent aircraft carrier to enjoy cocktails, games, and most notably, performances by MGMT and Grimes. This is CraveOnline’s third online/offline co-promotion with TNT, and the second to take place at Comic-Con.

Upon boarding the USS Midway, guests will step into a fully branded entryway, immersing themselves into the world of The Last Ship—TNT’s hit new post-apocalyptic series about the crew of a Navy destroyer searching for the cure to a global pandemic. Guests will then head through the similarly themed Science Lab, where footage from the show can be viewed.

From there, they can partake in the Laser Maze, a laser-tag style target practice meant to take down intruders who threaten the cure. For a select group, refuge can be found in the TNT-hosted VIP Hangar Bay Lounge. Meanwhile, all guests are invited to peruse the Loot Lounge for specialty cocktails—and to then head to the main deck to have their photo taken in front of real fighter jets.

The evening will culminate with an opening DJ set by Grimes, followed by an exclusive performance from the Grammy Award-winning group, MGMT on the CraveOnline stage.

Friday, July 25, 2014 from 7pm – 11pm on the USS Midway
910 N. Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA, 92101

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »

Comic-Con: MGMT, Grimes to Play on an Aircraft Carrier For ‘Crave Conquers The Con’
CraveOnline partners with TNT’s The Last Ship for a massive Comic-Con event on the historic USS Midway!

The secret is out — CraveOnline is partnering with TNT’s The Last Ship to throw a massive Comic-Con event on the historic USS Midway, featuring performances by MGMT and Grimes. That’s right, Crave is Conquering The Con with an unbelievable show aboard an aircraft carrier.

What better way to catch a break from the noisy lines and cosplay overload of Comic-Con than to take part in an exclusive concert on the monumental aircraft carrier, the USS Midway? Adjacent to the Convention Center and Comic-Con epicenter, the USS Midway is just a short walk away from the costumed mayhem, where two premier musical acts — MGMT and Grimes — will serve our die-hard music enthusiasts an unforgettable experience, and will set the perfect tone for the most memorable event Comic-Con has yet to see.

Grimes’ mesmeric pop energy will translate through a DJ set on the USS Midway on July 25th, before Benjamin Goldwasser, Andrew VanWyngarden and the rest of MGMT, deliver their world-renowned psych-rock goodness to the lucky few in attendance. Currently on tour in support of their third album MGMT, the band will undoubtedly pull heavily from their new material during the hotly-anticipated special performance.

Space is extremely limited at this special event, and you must be 21+ with photo ID to enter. We’ll be bringing you details shortly on RSVPs and how you can win list access to one of Comic-Con’s biggest events, and certainly the most unique!

Once more, CraveOnline is setting a new standard for your event excitement. Come rock with Crave and TNT on the USS Midway next Friday at Comic-Con!

Crave Conquers The Con is produced and booked by Mirrored Media.

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 04:53:51 AM »

have so Much fun all of eye who goeth
i am prepping for a lesson w/fellow teacher this was the dialogue which is also continuing
Me: man I am bummin so hard I am not at comic-con right now.
Phil: are u serious? Really?? Are u serious?
Me: (laughter bcuz I am used to this reaktion) yes
Phil; who would u go as!???
Me: oh man who wouldn't I go as I would go as Catwoman from dark knight rises duh
Phil; that's pretty good ok..
Me: I can't go as katnis s from HGames bcuz I don't think I can brin my bow I don't think they allow arms.
Phil: (under breath) jesus christ..i can't believe my ears...
Me: it's not that weird is it, wanting to be at comic con?
Phil: no no it's not..ok it's a little weird Elizabeth

A hug to mgmt to grimes to the carrier and to he hunger games mocking jay which if it there will premiere the trailer today if u love it too :-* (just received nickname Comic-Con I am beyond honored) good day
station to station

Rachel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 10:27:57 PM »

Oh, Lala, have the best time ever! Can't wait to hear stories! <3  :-*

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 02:39:26 AM »

Oh, Lala, have the best time ever! Can't wait to hear stories! <3  :-*

It was a special night.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »

http://www.discoversd.com/news/2014/Jul/27/mgmt-uss-midway/

YOU CAN JUST CALL IT USS MGMT
CRAVEonline hosts a party on the deck of the USS Midway with MGMT, cocktails and celebs

A few of my pics.  I didn't take a lot of photos for public use.  Don't be mad at me.  I think I've been pretty good over the years.  I just pretty much decided to be in the moment.

Philosiraptor

• Freezeazy Peak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »

Boo!  I want to see a close-up of Ben's shirt.  It looks like it has cool palm trees on it.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 07:22:48 PM »

Boo!  I want to see a close-up of Ben's shirt.  It looks like it has cool palm trees on it.

Boo?  Seriously?  It had palm trees and canoes and rocks. The only good ones I have of his shirt are personal.

Philosiraptor

• Freezeazy Peak
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 08:06:43 PM »

Nah I'm just kidding with the boo but from what I can see of that shirt it looks pretty cool.  I have two different shirts with palms trees on it...I could use a third...can you ask Ben where he got that shirt?

pookey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »

Nah I'm just kidding with the boo but from what I can see of that shirt it looks pretty cool.  I have two different shirts with palms trees on it...I could use a third...can you ask Ben where he got that shirt?
You don't need three shirts like that.
Trixie and the kids are great: thanks for asking!

shra

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 08:52:22 PM »

^Truth

They could have left that photo of skrillex out of the article...jesus.

Beautiful photos as always lala. :-*

Philosiraptor

• Freezeazy Peak
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »

You don't need three shirts like that.

Ones green with black palm trees, one is gray with blue strips with green palm trees.

If I got Ben's shirt it would complete my holy trinity of palm tree shirts.  Ben's looks cooler than both of mine.  :'(

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »

I'll ask him when he wakes up.

Philosiraptor

• Freezeazy Peak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »

I'll ask him when he wakes up.

Damn someone wake up Ben from his coma ;D

Trahatokad

• People are people too, you know?