MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Get the album "MGMT" on iTunes, CD, or vinyl here. Album includes the "Optimizer" listening and viewing experience.

Author Topic: Main Square Festival / Arras, France / July 3-6  (Read 2067 times)

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
Lay by me and we'll erode as gently as we can into twilight

Staralfur

• View Profile
Re: Main Square Festival / Arras, France / July 3-6
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »

I was there. Not a very good experience, not because of the band but the festival is not the good place to see them. I'll say more later.
A short interview before the show:

MGMT au Mainsquare Festival 2014 - L'interview vidéo

or here (same video as above) with the little report in French:
http://www.virginradio.fr/mgmt-skrillex-interview-video-a304833.html

Another video backstage before the show, very short report and interview:
http://www.replay-tv.fr/replay/d17/1099543/interview-mgmt-au-main-square-main-square-2014

Oh and nice nails Andrew!  ;D

Staralfur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »

So, a few days after Evreux, I went to the famous Main Square Festival in Arras, one of the most important festival in France.
Just for one day to see our boys. To avoid the problems of the first row that I knew at Evreux, I decided to stand in the middle of the crowd, though, not too far from the stage. It was the end of the afternoon and the weather was awful, rain rain rain...
The concert started with people under umbrellas but fortunately the rain stopped.
I was very surprised by the bad ambience there : people were talking everywhere around me et no applauses, except for Time To Pretend and Electric Feel. Just the first rows looked interested. I couldn't believe it when I recall the amazing audience and energy at the last concert at the Olympia-Paris a few months ago...  :o
I decided to walk a little toward the front as some people were leaving the concert, it was a little better around me but still no good reaction from the crowd until the end of the concert because of... KIDS!  :P
(precision: I prefer Siberian Breaks and Of Moons Birds & Monsters (for examples) to Kids or Electric Feel)
I stayed all the day and in the evening I attended the concert of the headliner of the day: Stromae... and then I understood!!! Of course, the crowd was entirely here for this artist, he delivered a very energic show, talked a lot to the crowd, asking us to dance, jump, sing... It's just what this audience was waiting from the other artists. The audiences of MGMT and Stromae are NOT compatible (I mean in general of course).
The reports I read afterward, negatives for the band said the same thing: no interaction with the public except just at the end for Kids...  ::)
What an ignorance of their music!!!
I'll avoid festivals in the future when the audiences of the artists of the day will not be compatibles...

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »

I wish that at festivals they would do Kids, TTP and Electric Feel first. Then launch into Siberian Breaks so the bros and basic bitches can clear out and leave the rest of the set to those of us who know more than three songs.

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*

Staralfur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »

I wish that at festivals they would do Kids, TTP and Electric Feel first. Then launch into Siberian Breaks so the bros and basic bitches can clear out and leave the rest of the set to those of us who know more than three songs.
Right! I agree again. :)
But maybe they don't want to experiment the departure of many people during their set (?)

Now I just hope they come back soon to Paris in a 'classical venue', because they weirdly do several festivals in France but not the parisian one (Rock en Seine at the end of August, however probably many of their fans will be here)...

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »

Right! I agree again. :)
But maybe they don't want to experiment the departure of many people during their set (?)

Now I just hope they come back soon to Paris in a 'classical venue', because they weirdly do several festivals in France but not the parisian one (Rock en Seine at the end of August, however probably many of their fans will be here)...

Yes, I was just stating my fantasy ;)  Of course they don't want an Exodus.  Just me  :P

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*