MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Get the album "MGMT" on iTunes, CD, or vinyl here. Album includes the "Optimizer" listening and viewing experience.

Author Topic: MONTREAL, QC, CANADA Dec. 9  (Read 2110 times)

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
MONTREAL, QC, CANADA Dec. 9
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »

METROPOLIS

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*

larissa

• View Profile
Re: MONTREAL, QC, CANADA Dec. 9
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »

So this is tomorrow and no one has said anything, I'm guessing no one on here is going? Otherwise, people would be flipping shit. 'Cause I am.
Now the world can be an unfair place at times
But your lows will have their compliment of highs.

framboise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 12:15:01 AM »

If I didn't still have exams I would be there. Have an amazing time Larissa!

larissa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 05:10:52 PM »

Thanks! We're going around 6, it starts at 8 and doors open at 6:30, hopefully we're not super far back!

larissa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »

Really sad no other forumers could go, but all the more reason to share my story here!

So we arrived at the venue at about 5:50 or so, a bit before 6, and the lineup wasn't TOO bad... The doors opened at 6:30 so we had to wait for a while in the cold.  My bf spotted two busses and a transfer truck behind the venue (we had planned on trying to meet the band again if possible) so this just struck me and I was so excited, because I thought Metropolis was basically impossible to meet bands at.  Anyway, doors opened a little early, coat check, picked up a shirt, bf grabbed a beer, got a spot.  We were pretty close considering what I had seen in Toronto when we went, probably like 10 people back or so.  There were lots of headbands and we felt like old people -- we're 21.  Anyway, we waited patiently until Kuroma came on, they were amazing, James on bass and Will on drums (I wasn't sure who was doing what in this band at this point, have been away from the forum for a while).  Although they were amazing, I couldn't help but keep thinking about MGMT of course... And we waited probably 45 mins or so between acts, until MGMT came on.  I could feel tears before they even came on just thinking about how happy I was to have had a boyfriend that would save money and plan this trip for me, that I was in my favorite city, at my favorite venue, seeing my all-time favorite band.  I was so emotional.  As soon as they came on, I started bawling.  I cried through the first three songs or so (Alien Days, Time to Pretend, Flash Delirium).  They had a little helicopter thinger that they've probably had throughout the tour, but as I said, I haven't been up-to-date on what's up with them really, I had to do last minute research a few days before the concert since I was surprised only a week before!  The visuals were phenomenal, Andrew's seemingly-Flaming Lips-inspired-camera made it all the more intimate and really showed how they've grown as a live band.  I was basically center stage and could see Andrew the whole time, but unfortunately had to tippy-toe to see Ben, James, Matt, Will, and I just couldn't see Hank because he was directly behind Andrew.  I could see how into the show they all were compared to when I saw them in 2010 in Toronto... They were really digging it.  Your Life is a Lie was helped out by a special guest -- a cute little girl, not sure who she was -- hitting the giant cowbell.  She did a great job (and what a sick memory to have later in life!).  James introduced her with a cliche song about "Special Guest" with an acoustic guitar.  I was so excited to hear Siberian Breaks, it was phenomenal!  When they played Electric Feel, Kids, and Time to Pretend, the crowd went absolutely WILD... When they played Siberian Breaks, Cool Song No. 2, etc., you could tell so much of the crowd wasn't into it, which made me sad but also made me feel fortunate enough to be able to enjoy the whole concert with some others who enjoyed all of their music so much.  There was this pretty big fan that was super annoying -- running into people and asking why they weren't moving (letting him up closer) because this was a peaceful show, man; screaming out names of songs like "I Love You TO DEATH" (missing the punctuation and therefore pronouncing it wrong), We (Don't) Care, etc.; and literally screaming in peoples' ears... But I really couldn't have cared less about him, the people running into me, or the fight happening behind me, because I was in absolute bliss and it took nothing to get myself back into the show after these distractions... I was crying again during Weekend Wars and during Pieces of What, which they closed the show with, and was tearing up here and there throughout the concert... I felt like such a baby but I was SO HAPPY.  I couldn't even take pictures during the concert because I was shaking so horribly they weren't turning out.  Anyway, when the concert ended, I planned on going to pick up a vinyl (only $20!?!?) but we went to coat check first... bad idea.  We were led directly outside and couldn't get back in... SHIT, I couldn't add to my collection of signed vinyl! Oh well... By this time, my boyfriend was thirsty so we grabbed a water from a depanneur from across the street... planning to come back to meet the band.  When we went out back, there was a bit of a crowd, but nothing like in Toronto.  No fence, not nearly as many people, and a much smaller space to stand in.  I was at the back.  When James came out after about 30-45 mins, I squeaked "James!" as did some other girls.  He came over, but unfortunately (but understandably) was not willing to take pics.  One poor girl asked for a pic and he just said "ahhh..." and didn't.  Oh well, he was within 10 feet of me, and he just played two shows in a row!  And so we waited for others after some girls asked James to see if someone else would come out (girl at the front was asked by security who she wanted to see most, and squealed "ANDREWWW!").  So we waited... Freezing... Couldn't feel my legs anymore... But finally Matt came out!  I was the first to see him for some reason, I was still stuck at the back.  Squealed his name too... oops.  Thank goodness he came when he did though because my boyfriend was really ready to leave.  So he came, and while waiting to ask for a pic, Andrew came out -- focus of the group averted (sweet!).  I asked Matt for a picture at this point, babbled on about how I'd met him before, he was so nice to me, the show has improved so much, I came to see them three times from PEI, and I think I mentioned something about the forum in there, etc.  He was just saying "oh cool, yeah, cool!" but actually told me he recognized me (not sure if he was bullshitting or not, since I replied, "who, ME?!").  He was holding his coat tight so I said "oh... I know you're cold, I'm sorry, I just wanted to talk to you and get a picture!" and he took an adorable selfie shot of us (after the second try, which I had to crop).  I thanked him and let others get their pics and signatures.  I eventually was able to ask Andrew for a picture -- this was all very awkward, because everyone knew they didn't want to stay long and we all wanted to get our shots and signatures... but I really wanted to talk.  Anyway, I told Andrew I had met him once before and let him know the show was amazing and everything, but he had other people to deal with so he couldn't really respond with much.  We got a great picture and when he had run through everyone who wanted a pic or signature, he left (one girl made sure she said "Andrew, I just wanted to let you know I think you're beautiful", because he probably hasn't heard that before), and so we all left as well.  I wanted to see Ben, Will, and Hank, but SHIT it was cold, and we had been waiting over an hour and a half in it.  So we all went our merry ways, and then I thought of all of the regrets I had from not letting them know how much they inspire me, I didn't show them my necklace, etc... But that's bound to happen, I froze up (no pun intended). 

All in all, I think it was the happiest night of my life, because the next day when I got home I went hysterical because I was worried I would never be that happy again in my life.  :-\  So sorry I wrote a novel, I just wanted to share my experience (and write it so I would remember it).  If anyone ever gets the chance to see them at the Metropolis, TAKE IT. It's so worth it, it's amazing. 

Some pics:

Bubble

• Mrs. Harrison at your service
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »

So happy for you Lari, you have the best boyfriend!!!

Great pictures. Matt takes the best selfies! and i'm pretty sure James must have been tired or not feeling very well, he's usually the sweetest.

team matt.

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »

Ahhhhh!!!  Thank you for sharing your experience with us!!!  I'm so pleased that you had such a wonderf night!!

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*

puredaze

• Tend to the void, don't just fill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »

It sounds like it was a great show and your pictures look amazing!! Thank you for sharing- I'm glad you got to see them again and had fun doing so :)

"sunny's sunnies sonny son sun sunn l(o)l sing song. - Andrew VanWyngarden"

larissa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »

So happy for you Lari, you have the best boyfriend!!!

Great pictures. Matt takes the best selfies! and i'm pretty sure James must have been tired or not feeling very well, he's usually the sweetest.

Matt's first selfie was literally a creep picture of my boyfriend behind us, hilarious! I love his face though, too funny.  And James was definitely tired, I could absolutely empathize with him, they were pretty deep into the tour and he just played two shows in a row.  He was still sweet, he refused a photo in the most polite way and at least he came out for a bit.  I felt bad for them all, really, it was SO cold!

Thank you everyone for being excited for me, I sure was!  ;D  Just listened to the album on vinyl and am digging it more and more every time I hear it!  Reminded me to come on here and see what's up! I love you all and your wonderful support and friendships, thank you.  :-*