MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Get the new album MGMT on iTunes, CD, or vinyl here. Album includes the "Optimizer" listening and viewing experience.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21  All

Author Topic: Alien Days - MGMT's New Song  (Read 26116 times)

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
Re: MGMT's New Song from LP3 - Alien Days
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 12:41:24 AM »

Before I make my reply, I really appreciate Lisa's find-I asked her to post it on the forum.

That being said, I stopped it about 30 seconds into the start of the actual song because the distortion was making it unpleasant for me.  I don't know if the sound at this festival was crappy or we just have a couple of bad recordings.  I'm just not wanting to listen to the new stuff with all of this distortion.  Again-I'm grateful for Lisa's find and glad she posted it.

I'm going back to basketball-Go Cats!!!  I'm sorry if I seem negative-I'm not at all!  I just want to hear it perfectly  :-*

The sound is less than desirable for sure.  In my experience, if you are front and center and record, it usually sounds okay.  But if you are on the side and in front of a speaker it sounds more distorted.  Regardless, it's the best version we have so far.

And I agree-I love you and I so hope you didn't take it the wrong way.  It's just a personal opinion for me.  I didn't even know that it was a personal opinion for me until I heard it.  Remember, I was the first person to post Dan Treacy, It's Working, and Congratulations.....I just decided when I listened to it that I want to hear it without any distortion before I hear it.  Totally just my personal opinion and no disrespect to anyone.

No no no, I didn't take it that way at all and I know you do  :-*  You are right, the quality leaves a lot to be desired. 

Thanks for all the thanks everyone.  I was talking to the person who recorded it and they let me know when it was being posted so then I brought it here were it could be appreciated by everyone. 
Lay by me and we'll erode as gently as we can into twilight

Purplebash

• Seeing is not like belief
    • View Profile
    • Not Enough Hype
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »

To me, this song isn't so great or anything because it sounds good, because this recording is definitely nothing to pass any judgment on. However this song to me is fantastic because it's getting me just so excited for the new stuff. I wasn't exactly ecstatic before but now? It's all that's on my mind!

"But you have to wonder really, how popular are cinnamon roles in the west indies?"

O2BNOBX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »

Like the song, I'm sure the quality didn't do it much justice.  I am really curious to see what direction this album goes in now. Not sure if I saw it on here or somewhere else online - Dave Fridman is producing this album?? Would love some trippy/psychedelic tunes but also some edgier rock stuff. They seem to craft both types of songs equally well.   

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »

Like the song, I'm sure the quality didn't do it much justice.  I am really curious to see what direction this album goes in now. Not sure if I saw it on here or somewhere else online - Dave Fridman is producing this album?? Would love some trippy/psychedelic tunes but also some edgier rock stuff. They seem to craft both types of songs equally well.

Dave is working with them.  I suspect that production credits will be split between Mr. Fridmann and MGMT.

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »

i'm basically the same as you lala, i was hyped to listen to it but before the first minute i just closed the window because you really can't hear anything to even pass judgement. maybe this is what they meant about not wanting stuff to be on the internet, because it could be in poor quality. i am very exicted about new material but it does mystify me how people could say they love this track because we can barely hear it...

disco

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »

i'm basically the same as you lala, i was hyped to listen to it but before the first minute i just closed the window because you really can't hear anything to even pass judgement. maybe this is what they meant about not wanting stuff to be on the internet, because it could be in poor quality. i am very exicted about new material but it does mystify me how people could say they love this track because we can barely hear it...

this

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »

this

Same ^
All veils and misty   Streets of blue   Almond looks  That chill divine   Some silken moment  Goes on forever 
 And we're leaving broken hearts behind

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »

Andrew could stand up there and belch for an hour and twenty minutes and there are people who would say it was the most beautiful, perfect thing they've ever heard.

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »

I've heard but not actually done it myself but if you turn the audio down on your phone for recording vids... the sound quality will turn out much better.  I was so disappointed by my vids from the Mod Club ...they actually make my PC speakers move around my desk.   Extremely painful to listen too. So i googled it and that was one suggestion that actually made sense.
All veils and misty   Streets of blue   Almond looks  That chill divine   Some silken moment  Goes on forever 
 And we're leaving broken hearts behind

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »

I try to hold on to objectivity but I know that whatever I initially thought of the song, I'm just going to grow to love it in the end so I try not to fight it too much. I found a few more recordings but they are even worse in quality.  I don't think we are going to get a good one from that show.  If they do play it today hopefully someone records the livestream. 

I've heard but not actually done it myself but if you turn the audio down on your phone for recording vids... the sound quality will turn out much better.  I was so disappointed by my vids from the Mod Club ...they actually make my PC speakers move around my desk.   Extremely painful to listen too. So i googled it and that was one suggestion that actually made sense.

Interesting thanks for sharing.  I have quite a few recordings, even from MGMT shows and nothing sounds that distorted. I'm thinking maybe it was the sound like lala said. 

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »

I try to hold on to objectivity but I know that whatever I initially thought of the song, I'm just going to grow to love it in the end so I try not to fight it too much. I found a few more recordings but they are even worse in quality.  I don't think we are going to get a good one from that show.  If they do play it today hopefully someone records the livestream.

It kills me, because we know there's HQ video of that show.

RaptorLove

• RaptorLove comin' to sell you some tupperware.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »

To me, it kind of reminds me of We Care a little bit (from what I can hear of course) but awesomer, and We Care is pretty damn awesome.
I HOPE YOUR APPLE PIE WAS FRIGGIN WORTH IT

Daisy :)

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »

I can totally tell where this album is going though, from the nice snippets of clear sound in there.
I am excited to no end and hope to hear a clearer version very very VERY soon.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »

They just livestreamed the audio of Alien Days and you could hear it extremely clearly even though it was video taken far from the stage.  I do love it.  I can now say that.  It emits a happy light-hearted feeling with some very catchy sounds.

phosphorheart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »

Where is this livestream audio that you speak of?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21  All