MGMT- The Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Get the album "MGMT" on iTunes, CD, or vinyl here. Album includes the "Optimizer" listening and viewing experience.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 21 [All]

Author Topic: Alien Days - MGMT's New Song  (Read 27174 times)

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
Alien Days - MGMT's New Song
« on: March 31, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »

MGMT en Argentina - Alien Days - Quilmes Rock, River Plate, Buenos Aires 03/04/2012

MGMT - Alien Days @ Quilmes Rock 2012 (Parte 5/7) [HQ]
Lay by me and we'll erode as gently as we can into twilight

gulsah

• View Profile
    • last.fm
Re: MGMT's New Song from LP3 - Alien Days
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »

THANK YOU
Still can't make much of a judgement
beginning was weird
but idk
omg
:']

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »

THANK YOU
Still can't make much of a judgement
beginning was weird
but idk
omg
:']

It has a lot of similar qualities to the music they performed at Guggenheim, especially in the beginning of the song.  Some of the sounds from this new song can also be found in Guggenheim Track 4 (my personal favorite). I also see what they mean by saying it's lighter.  It has a really happy vibe to it. 

gulsah

• View Profile
    • last.fm
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »

FFs, I still haven't gotten around to listening to those. Maybe I'm still mad about my experience that day lol. Still on my ipod -__________-
But, that's very interesting and I think you've finally... FINALLY convinced me to listen tonight before I go to bed lol
Anyway, I'm glad that it's sounding more... airy? It definitely is something I need! I wish I knew the lyrics... that title is so silly to me... making me giggle.
3:25 instrumental bit is sooo lovely
Sounds circus-y in a way.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »

FFs, I still haven't gotten around to listening to those. Maybe I'm still mad about my experience that day lol. Still on my ipod -__________-
But, that's very interesting and I think you've finally... FINALLY convinced me to listen tonight before I go to bed lol
Anyway, I'm glad that it's sounding more... airy? It definitely is something I need! I wish I knew the lyrics... that title is so silly to me... making me giggle.
3:25 instrumental bit is sooo lovely
Sounds circus-y in a way.

Yes, go listen!  My favorites are Track 4 and 7.  I wish I knew the lyrics too.  It adds so much to the song for me. 

gulsah

• View Profile
    • last.fm
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »

Will definitely do so! I might even just put it on at work tomorrow when I close the store hahaha! I especially find it interesting that you say the sounds were taken from then and put into this song. Now, I'm excited about Guggenheim again! LOL

Omg. This song. It builds up to be so beautiful. I keep hitting replay!
And yes! Lyrics make up a lot for me. UGH, I'm so excited to hear more/get better quality!

lala

• Would you feel better holding the stars up?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 08:07:19 PM »

Before I make my reply, I really appreciate Lisa's find-I asked her to post it on the forum.

That being said, I stopped it about 30 seconds into the start of the actual song because the distortion was making it unpleasant for me.  I don't know if the sound at this festival was crappy or we just have a couple of bad recordings.  I'm just not wanting to listen to the new stuff with all of this distortion.  Again-I'm grateful for Lisa's find and glad she posted it.

I'm going back to basketball-Go Cats!!!  I'm sorry if I seem negative-I'm not at all!  I just want to hear it perfectly  :-*

Me:  We drove six hours
Andrew VanWyngarden:  Drumstick Towers?  *giggles*

Daisy :)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 08:11:31 PM »

everything is MGMT and nothing hurts

Purplebash

• Seeing is not like belief
    • View Profile
    • Not Enough Hype
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »

well
I listened to it all the way through. twice already, in fact.
it's so fuzzy and the bass is overwhelming....

I always test MGMT songs based on trying to pretend that it's not by them so I won't automatically like it, so I pressed play and went to studying for chemistry

by the end I had totally forgotten it was playing but I was just swaying back and forth and like dancing while writing things down omg overall the tune was just really good, what can I say? I can't wait to hear a better recording xD

"But you have to wonder really, how popular are cinnamon roles in the west indies?"

MrPsychedelic101

• show me where it hurts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »

Soo amazing!!! Gets better with every listen!!! Thanks for the post!
 :) :) :)
Very Metanoia/Oracular Spectacular-ish, can't wait for the studio version!! THANKS AGAIN!!

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »

Before I make my reply, I really appreciate Lisa's find-I asked her to post it on the forum.

That being said, I stopped it about 30 seconds into the start of the actual song because the distortion was making it unpleasant for me.  I don't know if the sound at this festival was crappy or we just have a couple of bad recordings.  I'm just not wanting to listen to the new stuff with all of this distortion.  Again-I'm grateful for Lisa's find and glad she posted it.

I'm going back to basketball-Go Cats!!!  I'm sorry if I seem negative-I'm not at all!  I just want to hear it perfectly  :-*

The sound is less than desirable for sure.  In my experience, if you are front and center and record, it usually sounds okay.  But if you are on the side and in front of a speaker it sounds more distorted.  Regardless, it's the best version we have so far. 

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »

The sound is less than desirable for sure.  In my experience, if you are front and center and record, it usually sounds okay.  But if you are on the side and in front of a speaker it sounds more distorted.  Regardless, it's the best version we have so far.

And I agree-I love you and I so hope you didn't take it the wrong way.  It's just a personal opinion for me.  I didn't even know that it was a personal opinion for me until I heard it.  Remember, I was the first person to post Dan Treacy, It's Working, and Congratulations.....I just decided when I listened to it that I want to hear it without any distortion before I hear it.  Totally just my personal opinion and no disrespect to anyone.

Mickey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »

I still cannot get enough of this... It is so beautiful, and it's really putting me at peace. They amaze me, as always.

Catamite

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 09:58:07 PM »

ANDRUUUUH!!!!!

Thank you so much for posting this, it's much better than juan's stream.

I love it, but dat bass....

epic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »

very guggenheim, alot happier.  Reserving further judgement until I hear a recording that doesn't sound like the bass is farting in my face.
"Frailagility of fame and the sensitivity of frail egos"

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 12:41:24 AM »

And I agree-I love you and I so hope you didn't take it the wrong way.  It's just a personal opinion for me.  I didn't even know that it was a personal opinion for me until I heard it.  Remember, I was the first person to post Dan Treacy, It's Working, and Congratulations.....I just decided when I listened to it that I want to hear it without any distortion before I hear it.  Totally just my personal opinion and no disrespect to anyone.

No no no, I didn't take it that way at all and I know you do  :-*  You are right, the quality leaves a lot to be desired. 

Thanks for all the thanks everyone.  I was talking to the person who recorded it and they let me know when it was being posted so then I brought it here were it could be appreciated by everyone. 

Purplebash

• View Profile
    • Not Enough Hype
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »

To me, this song isn't so great or anything because it sounds good, because this recording is definitely nothing to pass any judgment on. However this song to me is fantastic because it's getting me just so excited for the new stuff. I wasn't exactly ecstatic before but now? It's all that's on my mind!

"But you have to wonder really, how popular are cinnamon roles in the west indies?"

O2BNOBX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »

Like the song, I'm sure the quality didn't do it much justice.  I am really curious to see what direction this album goes in now. Not sure if I saw it on here or somewhere else online - Dave Fridman is producing this album?? Would love some trippy/psychedelic tunes but also some edgier rock stuff. They seem to craft both types of songs equally well.   

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »

Like the song, I'm sure the quality didn't do it much justice.  I am really curious to see what direction this album goes in now. Not sure if I saw it on here or somewhere else online - Dave Fridman is producing this album?? Would love some trippy/psychedelic tunes but also some edgier rock stuff. They seem to craft both types of songs equally well.

Dave is working with them.  I suspect that production credits will be split between Mr. Fridmann and MGMT.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »

i'm basically the same as you lala, i was hyped to listen to it but before the first minute i just closed the window because you really can't hear anything to even pass judgement. maybe this is what they meant about not wanting stuff to be on the internet, because it could be in poor quality. i am very exicted about new material but it does mystify me how people could say they love this track because we can barely hear it...

disco

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »

i'm basically the same as you lala, i was hyped to listen to it but before the first minute i just closed the window because you really can't hear anything to even pass judgement. maybe this is what they meant about not wanting stuff to be on the internet, because it could be in poor quality. i am very exicted about new material but it does mystify me how people could say they love this track because we can barely hear it...

this

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »

this

Same ^
All veils and misty   Streets of blue   Almond looks  That chill divine   Some silken moment  Goes on forever 
 And we're leaving broken hearts behind

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »

Andrew could stand up there and belch for an hour and twenty minutes and there are people who would say it was the most beautiful, perfect thing they've ever heard.

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »

I've heard but not actually done it myself but if you turn the audio down on your phone for recording vids... the sound quality will turn out much better.  I was so disappointed by my vids from the Mod Club ...they actually make my PC speakers move around my desk.   Extremely painful to listen too. So i googled it and that was one suggestion that actually made sense.
All veils and misty   Streets of blue   Almond looks  That chill divine   Some silken moment  Goes on forever 

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »

I try to hold on to objectivity but I know that whatever I initially thought of the song, I'm just going to grow to love it in the end so I try not to fight it too much. I found a few more recordings but they are even worse in quality.  I don't think we are going to get a good one from that show.  If they do play it today hopefully someone records the livestream. 

I've heard but not actually done it myself but if you turn the audio down on your phone for recording vids... the sound quality will turn out much better.  I was so disappointed by my vids from the Mod Club ...they actually make my PC speakers move around my desk.   Extremely painful to listen too. So i googled it and that was one suggestion that actually made sense.

Interesting thanks for sharing.  I have quite a few recordings, even from MGMT shows and nothing sounds that distorted. I'm thinking maybe it was the sound like lala said. 

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »

I try to hold on to objectivity but I know that whatever I initially thought of the song, I'm just going to grow to love it in the end so I try not to fight it too much. I found a few more recordings but they are even worse in quality.  I don't think we are going to get a good one from that show.  If they do play it today hopefully someone records the livestream.

It kills me, because we know there's HQ video of that show.

RaptorLove

• RaptorLove comin' to sell you some tupperware.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »

To me, it kind of reminds me of We Care a little bit (from what I can hear of course) but awesomer, and We Care is pretty damn awesome.
I HOPE YOUR APPLE PIE WAS FRIGGIN WORTH IT

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »

I can totally tell where this album is going though, from the nice snippets of clear sound in there.
I am excited to no end and hope to hear a clearer version very very VERY soon.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »

They just livestreamed the audio of Alien Days and you could hear it extremely clearly even though it was video taken far from the stage.  I do love it.  I can now say that.  It emits a happy light-hearted feeling with some very catchy sounds.

phosphorheart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »

Where is this livestream audio that you speak of?

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »

Where is this livestream audio that you speak of?

The link to watch is in this thread http://mgmtforum.com/index.php?topic=9969.msg283218#new  But the commentators said MGMT did not give permission for their show to be livestreamed which I would assume is due to the new song.  So the livestream went on without them but you could hear MGMT in the background while the commentators talked.  Then all of the sudden, the commenting stopped and they cut to Alien Days being performed.  You could hear it very clearly but the footage was from far away.  I have a pretty clear mp3 of it already but it's only a minute long and I don't think I should put it up.  It's probably best to wait until we have a clear full version of it.

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 09:36:11 PM »

I can't for the life of me figure out why they would let us hear the new song, if that's what the issue was. It's not like other people would know who it was, or what the song was, but nonetheless, WHY

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »

I can't for the life of me figure out why they would let us hear the new song, if that's what the issue was. It's not like other people would know who it was, or what the song was, but nonetheless, WHY

I know, I understood it until they aired that song.  I don't know if it was just a mistake or what since they didn't actually show MGMT performing it but you could definitely hear it and that's what really counts.

gulsah

• View Profile
    • last.fm
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »

it does mystify me how people could say they love this track because we can barely hear it...

Well, to be honest (I'm not saying I love this by the way lol. There can't be a
"real" judgement.) I don't see why someone can't like/judge what they can hear of it.
 I mean, really, there IS a mess of sound coming from that one video to distort it so much (I actually am a little kid and laughed so hard at the bass farting comment. It's so true. LOL) but at the same time you can still hear some noises.
As I said from the start, I can't make an actual full judgement, but, judging from what I do hear... I'm liking certain parts of it. of what I can hear

I'm sorry to even reply. Sometimes I just feel like it isn't fair for someone on the other side of things (even if I'm not there) to be getting judged in ways.

Purplebash

• View Profile
    • Not Enough Hype
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »

I love the little bits I hear, again, not even for the sound, but because of this insane excitement I keep feeling.

Tim or Something

• Low budget locations
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »

I just want to hear it so bad.

Gold Coast

• Don't dig too deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 10:36:32 PM »

The intro kills me and even if i cant hear the whole song clearly, it's MGMT so I'm not even going to question the brilliance.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »

Without being all technical about it, I like the different noises especially in the beginning and the the ones that repeat throughout.  I also like that it has a light feel to it.  I think it's catchy in a unique way.  It's very easy to get stuck in your head and hum along to.  Basically, I like it because of how it makes me feel and nobody gets to take that away from me :)

gulsah

• View Profile
    • last.fm
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »

it's MGMT so I'm not even going to question the brilliance.

But what if the lyrics were

"Sometimes the world is a bum at the seams
And the world
the peaches are... we pick a place and smoke sand
hey
Loofah once tone level
Lights force stapled buttons --uh oh
Stickers in the waters

Butts are falling
Time to die
Devouring circle and feeble the cards from the nettle lies

No bones alien days
Non-stop alien days
Noodle alien days"

etc.

Marai

• We donkey-punched the night away..
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 10:52:36 PM »

I have to agree with Gulsah from what I could hear, it sounded really great, and I look forward to hearing the song in higher quality. I think it's a great teaser for what's to come!

Gold Coast

• Don't dig too deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »

And the world
hey
Loofah once tone level
Stickers in the waters

Butts are falling
Time to die

No bones alien days
Non-stop alien days
Noodle alien days"

etc.
I would love that.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »

And the world
hey
Loofah once tone level
Stickers in the waters

Butts are falling
Time to die

No bones alien days
Non-stop alien days
Noodle alien days"

etc.
I would love that.

gulsah

• View Profile
    • last.fm
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »

LOL
I don't know why I'm laughing so much at myself right now.

Marai

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »

And the world
hey
Loofah once tone level
Stickers in the waters

Butts are falling
Time to die

No bones alien days
Non-stop alien days
Noodle alien days"

etc.

If I was drinking something, I would've just spewed it out. That was awesome

Cool Kitten No. 2

• View Profile
    • ♫
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 02:14:43 AM »

i cant wait to hear this in studio quality, or just better quality in general. but i really like how the song sounds
meow

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 03:21:17 AM »

Same here. I've been humming the little melodies today. I'm ecstatic to hear a clear version.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 07:26:35 AM »

ok so here's the small clear portion of the song from the stream
http://decentlookingwife.tumblr.com/post/20317175716/wait-so-no-one-managed-to-record-the-whole-song

it does mystify me how people could say they love this track because we can barely hear it...

Well, to be honest (I'm not saying I love this by the way lol. There can't be a
"real" judgement.) I don't see why someone can't like/judge what they can hear of it.
 I mean, really, there IS a mess of sound coming from that one video to distort it so much (I actually am a little kid and laughed so hard at the bass farting comment. It's so true. LOL) but at the same time you can still hear some noises.
As I said from the start, I can't make an actual full judgement, but, judging from what I do hear... I'm liking certain parts of it. of what I can hear

I'm sorry to even reply. Sometimes I just feel like it isn't fair for someone on the other side of things (even if I'm not there) to be getting judged in ways.

it's fine of course. it wasn't aimed at anyone i just personally couldn't listen to that video, i have pretty high standards on the audio quality side of things

disco

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »

I'm sorry to go off topic but does anyone have the Guggenheim performance as mp3s? I never got to here it. I wanted to go but never made it :((

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »

I'm sorry to go off topic but does anyone have the Guggenheim performance as mp3s? I never got to here it. I wanted to go but never made it :((

http://mgmtforum.com/index.php?topic=9867.msg275055#msg275055

disco

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »

http://mgmtforum.com/index.php?topic=9867.msg275055#msg275055

Yup it's all in that thread. Put it together and uploaded it myself http://www.mediafire.com/?dr1ea2iypbud12d

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »

thank you!!! :)

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »

Hello Tim....glad to see you`re back...it`s been awhile  :)

Tim or Something

• Low budget locations
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 07:26:26 PM »

Hello Tim....glad to see you`re back...it`s been awhile  :)

Thank you! I still actually visit every day, I just haven't had anything to say. I've been kind of disappointed in the lack of new tunes, and this just re-sparked my interest. Too afraid to listen to this until a better video comes along, so I just keep listening to track 8 of the Gugen.

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »

Good plan....with you on that one! :D

Tim or Something

• Low budget locations
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2012, 11:17:20 PM »

MGTM - Alien days @Lollapalooza Chile 2012

Darn Chilean wooing. Other than that, its nice.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 11:30:48 PM »

Thanks.  Best version I've heard so far in terms of making out the lyrics and music.

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:17 AM »

James always has the best/worst ideas when it comes to crowd interaction

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »

GREAT SONG MGMT!!!I actually like the crowd wooing to the tune of the music. With the bad quality I thought it was Ben playing a sample. It actually sonically suits the song, at least a noise like that ala track 4 at guggenheim... my FAV SONG. I'm hopig they'll be inspired to add it to the final recording! Sometimes magic can happen when playing live, and when its before a song is recorded it can inspire the finished product. I LOVE this song! and I'm so happy the 'suits' didn't hold them back from performing a new song!! :) which they shouldn't... new songs are played by a lot of bands before they're recorded.

I also really love the title Alien Days... like my favourite Doors song Strange Days :D

This is the Best sound quality I've heard so far, although there's a lot being added today... a lot of Chilean fans :) I can hear that Ben actually does use a sound like the wooing in the song! Now I'm going to start listening over and over... lol. even though it cuts off the beginning

MGMT en Lollapalooza Chile - Alien Days
Music is a feeling...

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »

IT SOUNDS SO FREAKING GOOD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »

i can finally hear that version and it's great, no distortion, yay!

and what's more i actually think the song sounds great, very catchy and moreso than anything on congratulations but in a more understated way. of course it'll be along while til we hear a studio version and who knows what the hell will happen with production (i hope david doesn't overdo it because last time you could hear every dollar of it in the music and then pete's production on congratulations was very quirky so it would be a step back) but i'm actually really excited

haha look at me miss. mgmt isn't my favourite band anymore and i'm still excited  ;D

disco

RaptorLove

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 04:47:37 PM »

IT'S SO GOOD I MIGHT JUST I DON'T EVEN KNOW BUT IT'S SO GOOD.

Jteeman

• The red lights mean you're leaving
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »

I'll be honest, listened to it this evening on the stream and it didn't really jump out at me.
20.5.08 - 29.6.08 - 23.8.08 - 9.11.08 - 10.11.08 -11.11.08 - 23.9.10 - 26.9.10 - 30.9.10 - 1.10.10 - 12.10.13 - 14.10.13

Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

Mutare Vel Timere Sperno

epic

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »

I feel like its a very different song.  Not quite the fire burner that say Flash Delirium or Weekend Wars is, but it's definitely a song I wouldn't mind sitting back and enjoying on a nice afternoon.  Very Beach Boys

Purplebash

• View Profile
    • Not Enough Hype
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 07:13:15 PM »

(I thought I'd move this post here)

Can't lie. Alien Days is pretty awesome.

Like I said before, I always pretend as if every MGMT song I hear is really by Rihanna to see if I'd still like it (I really don't like Rihanna) and I just really like Alien Days! But also as I've said, I think 50% of it may just be excitement

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:48 PM »

EDIT: yup

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »

Alien Days @ Quilmes http://www.mediafire.com/?s00l6w68tfd3rat 
Perfect sound, ripped straight from the stream, no crowd noises at all. The best we will get for a while probably. 
Beginning is cut a few seconds due to announcers talking over it.

Marry Me?

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »

Perfect sound, ripped straight from the stream, no crowd noises at all. The best we will get for a while probably. 

Marry Me?

Haha you only want me for my MGMT ;)  You knew I'd get it and post it.  Although this was much easier then the 15 hours I slaved over putting the Guggenheim audio together.

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »

correct lyrics were posted

gulsah

• View Profile
    • last.fm
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2012, 07:44:38 PM »

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2012, 07:45:57 PM »

Ahhh thanks Daisy for posting those!

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »

Perhaps we'll have a visitor pop in with the lyrics?  *wink wink*

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »

Perhaps we'll have a visitor pop in with the lyrics?  *wink wink*

Yeah get in here and help. 

I'm attempting right now to see if I can pick up anything Daisy couldn't get.

Mogop

• I'm a normal alien.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »

well i really like it. thank you fairytale!

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE MP3!!!
Music is a feeling...

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »

Here is my best interpretation as I know it. Lyrics vary depending on which version you listen to.

EDIT: Actual lyrics posted

Bubble

• Mrs. Harrison at your service
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »

Alien days, the official stream.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21576084

team matt.

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »

You know what, I'm proud of all of us for taking the time to listen to a recording 43 freaking times to write down what we hear. THAT IS TRUE FANDOM

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »

I love this forum!!!

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »

You know what, I'm proud of all of us for taking the time to listen to a recording 43 freaking times to write down what we hear. THAT IS TRUE FANDOM

I love this forum!!!

I love when things pick up on here like this and you can just feel all the love.

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »

I do have a hard time believing Andrew would use 'fucking' in his lyrics.
But that's what we all seem to hear.
I'm not judging or anything, I personally love it.
Just second-guessing things.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »

It could just be a play on the actual lyrics.  Like when he sang "you're my mother fucking brown eyed girl".

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »

It could just be a play on the actual lyrics.  Like when he sang "you're my mother fucking brown eyed girl".

hahaha, yeah I know what you mean. :P
I keep thinking, "nnnnooodle alien dayyys"

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2012, 10:12:01 PM »

it really is so nice. love having such an up to date forum for my favourite band. not every band is blessed with such fans :)
Music is a feeling...

gulsah

• View Profile
    • last.fm
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »

hahahahahaha noodle alien days.
that is now forever the lyrics
no matter what
tbh.

You guys are great! Thank you for taking the time to write what you think the lyrics are!
I can't stop listening to this :X

AGM

• Sitting in the sunlight, all alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2012, 12:46:22 AM »

I love this forum!!!

I love when things pick up on here like this and you can just feel all the love.

:)
Just stop analyzing everything, just listen to it or don't listen to it...

Tim or Something

• Low budget locations
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2012, 04:51:21 AM »

Here is my best interpretation as I know it. Lyrics vary depending on which version you listen to.

Sometimes the night's not what it seems in a way
The preachers are all taking their place where the spirit will sling
Hey one foot leads to another, nights falls slip through curtains covered
Sequins in the eyes, got to find time to dine
Divine hair circling, feeding the cards to the midwives

Love those Alien Days
The non stop Alien Days
Ooh the Alien Days

Must escape the ship and join the team for a ride
A couple hours to learn the controls and commondear both my eyes
Hey, be quick dear, times are uncertain
One month crawling, next year's blurring
Decades in the drain, monograms on the brain
Sidewalks working on what's moved on to the last phase

The fucking Alien Days
I love those Alien Days
Ooh the Alien Days

And when the pins are down it feels like traveling in style
You don’t need wings to hurl 40 ton stones for a mile
And in the summer virgin visions, mindless humming
Lovers can’t decide if the day’s supposed to smile

Today's finding many ways it could be any worse
It's a blessing but it's also a curse

Those days taught me everything I know
How to catch your feelings and when to let it go

Have all the skinning soulless creatures here for the dreamers
And hiding in the hive if it's right beneath the nose
And when the lights in the sky shows trembling cartoons
You don't need smoke to cover most of the world in a gloom

Here comes racing on the surface
Watch my fingers ripping out the lines

If it looks like we could lose

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2012, 05:12:59 AM »

That stream link is so great, I wish that was the video that all the music websites were putting up and writing about

disco

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2012, 07:11:02 AM »

I thought he was singing The Flood Gate Alien Days which makes no sense at all.  Andrew (and just about any songwriter) is known to change the lyrics during the process. 

pookey

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »

I thought he was singing The Flood Gate Alien Days 
OMGme2
Trixie and the kids are great: thanks for asking!

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »

Have you heard a song called Time To Pretend?  ;)

pookey

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »

Also I think he says "numbers can't decide"
instead of "lovers"
idk dog.. seems more fitting, like he's talking about a calendar.

DebbieAwsumb

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »

"Alien Days"

Sometimes the windows combine with the seams
in a way
that twitches on a peak at the place where the spirit was slain
one foot leads to another
night's for sleep, blue curtains, covers
sequins in the eyes
that's a fine time to dine
divine who's circling, feeding the cards to the midwives
who love those alien days
the nonstop alien days
mmm the alien days

must've skipped the ship and joined the team
for a ride
a couple hours to learn the controls
and commandeer both my eyes
hey!
be quick dear, times are uncertain
one month crawling, next year blurring
decades in the drain
monograms on the brain
decide what's working and what's moved on
to the last phase
the floodgate alien days
I love those alien days
mmm the alien days

when the peels are down it feels like traveling in style
you don't need wings to hover forty ton stones for a mile
and in the summer, virgin visions
mindless humming
numbers can't decide if the day's supposed to smile

today find infinite ways it could be
plenty worse
it's a blessing but it's also a curse

those days taught me everything I know
how to catch a feeling
and when to let it go
how all the scheming, soulless creatures
can't find dreamer's honey in the hive
if it's right beneath the nose

and when the light is new
the sky shows trembling cartoons
you don't need smoke to cover
most of the world in a gloom
but here comes racer number 7
watch my fingers ripping out the lines
if it looks like we could lose
 :-X

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »

"Alien Days"

Sometimes the windows combine with the seams
in a way
that twitches on a peak at the place where the spirit was slain
one foot leads to another
night's for sleep, blue curtains, covers
sequins in the eyes
that's a fine time to dine
divine who's circling, feeding the cards to the midwives
who love those alien days
the nonstop alien days
mmm the alien days

must've skipped the ship and joined the team
for a ride
a couple hours to learn the controls
and commandeer both my eyes
hey!
be quick dear, times are uncertain
one month crawling, next year blurring
decades in the drain
monograms on the brain
decide what's working and what's moved on
to the last phase
the floodgate alien days
I love those alien days
mmm the alien days

when the peels are down it feels like traveling in style
you don't need wings to hover forty ton stones for a mile
and in the summer, virgin visions
mindless humming
numbers can't decide if the day's supposed to smile

today find infinite ways it could be
plenty worse
it's a blessing but it's also a curse

those days taught me everything I know
how to catch a feeling
and when to let it go
how all the scheming, soulless creatures
if it's right beneath the nose

and when the light is new
the sky shows trembling cartoons
you don't need smoke to cover
most of the world in a gloom
but here comes racer number 7
 :-X

Thanks Deb  ;)  I like the phrase "virgin visions"  and there's something about "hey! be quick dear".

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »

Thanks Debbie-thought you might pop in.  So it is floodgate  ;D

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »

Smart Ass ;)  I didn't do so bad, but I was especially proud I got "one foot leads to another".

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »

Smart Ass ;)  I didn't do so bad, but I was especially proud I got "one foot leads to another".

I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass  ;D

mssaram

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »

I know I am so effing late to this party, but I have to say, I am trying SO HARD not to listen to any recordings..I actually started to, and stopped because I want it to grace my ears the way it is intended to be heard...We'll see how long that lasts..lol.

Those lyrics though...so beautiful, as always.

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »

thanks Debbie!!  ;)

I think the song is beautiful, I really enjoyed it live.  :)

team matt.

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »

might be way late, but i dont hear the f word in the song

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »

A couple of members guessed at the lyrics and they had it in there.  The lyrics that DebbieAwsumb posted are the actual lyrics of the song.  The word "floodgate" was what was throwing some people.  Those of us with superior hearing knew it was floodgate  8)

pookey

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2012, 12:20:47 PM »

so i'm in love with the melodies in this song. seems like these guys are snagging all the good catchy melodies before they're all copyrighted. these chord progressions are also quite tricky. i have the chorus and refrain figured out, but damn. someone help me haha
Those of us with superior hearing knew it was floodgate  8)
that's right! what a beautiful word, floodgate... restrains outpourings of water.

Mickey

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »

Thanks for the official lyrics, Debbie. ;]

The lyrics are incredible. It's a powerful, beautiful song, and I'm mesmerized by every second of it.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »

I wonder if it is alien in the sense of extraterrestrial, creatures from out of space, little green men on mars etc. or like something unknown, 'foreign' etc.

i hope it's the second

disco

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »

i've listened to the song way to much already. should i cut back? probably. am i? nopeeee

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »

Thanks so much for the official lyrics! How are they so official though? Now i can sing along in the shower correctly... not like this morning.

Fuck, I love Andrew's subject matter. So. MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Music is a feeling...

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »

^ they are, just trust it  8)

disco

epic

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »

I don't want to say this, but I wish the chord at the end of "if it looks like we could lose" was happier.  It sorta makes the song feel somber.  But it's great none the less, it just feels alittle off for some reason.....i digress. 

In MGMT I Trust

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »

I know what you mean... been thinking about this too since i first heard it. Its to throw off the melody... if it didn't it would be like any other using using those notes... like if at the ending it went, if it looks like we could lose, one note higher at the last line. i have done this before with a song thats why when i heard this i was like :D. you get hooked on it and they play around a bit with the harmony. it keeps it open and doesn't close it up, i think. doesn't completely end it. it also suits the words.

by the way, this is why i love this band (secondary to the music). because amazing official lyrics to a new song played last week just happen to show up!  :-X
Music is a feeling...

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »

Thanks for stopping by, Debbie. :-* ( I still feel pretty awesome that my interpretation was so close )
now that there isn't confusion over floodgate / fucking, among a few others, I can feel the song more. I mean I liked it already, the eerie bounciness it has.

RaptorLove

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:47 PM »

Ahh Thanks so much Debbie! God, I don't even know how to say how much I love Andrew's lyrics! They're just so mystic and there's just something surreal there!

epic

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »

I know what you mean... been thinking about this too since i first heard it. Its to throw off the melody... if it didn't it would be like any other using using those notes... like if at the ending it went, if it looks like we could lose, one note higher at the last line. i have done this before with a song thats why when i heard this i was like :D. you get hooked on it and they play around a bit with the harmony. it keeps it open and doesn't close it up, i think. doesn't completely end it. it also suits the words.

by the way, this is why i love this band (secondary to the music). because amazing official lyrics to a new song played last week just happen to show up!  :-X

You hit hit the nail on the head.  It leaves the end of that chord progression open rather than closed like it has an end.  Which again I agree with you, they're music always makes your really work to find the hooks throughout it.  I think I said this before but The Beach Boys used to do that a lot.  Never conventional always keeping you guessing where the chords and melodies will throw you for a curve. 

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »

I have a sneaking suspicion this video will be removed soon but here's the best quality version I have seen yet.
MGMT - Alien Days New Song @ Quilmes Rock

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »

You hit hit the nail on the head. It leaves the end of that chord progression open rather than closed like it has an end.  Which again I agree with you, their music always makes your really work to find the hooks throughout it.  I think I said this before but The Beach Boys used to do that a lot.  Never conventional always keeping you guessing where the chords and melodies will throw you for a curve.

Ah exactly! You also, sir, hit the head of the nail. That's why I love them so much. Always unconventional :) You're right the beach boys did this too ... I like when music makes u think. It keeps it interesting after multiple listens
Music is a feeling...

AGM

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »

I have a sneaking suspicion this video will be removed soon but here's the best quality version I have seen yet.
MGMT - Alien Days New Song @ Quilmes Rock

I love  this song, I'm going through that moment in which you listen to it a couple of times, yeah... like 8 consecutive times

Thanks Deb for the lyrics :D :)

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:48 AM »

Hey, maybe its " ALIEN DAZE " ?

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:21 AM »

I have it on good authority that it's 'Days'
wait is that a joke

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2012, 06:53:45 AM »

Who let you out of the Post Your Picture thread?

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »

ELECTRIC FEEL ABBEY ROAD IS SO GOOD!!!!! :) way off topic idc!!!!!

shra

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2012, 10:51:50 AM »

I think you meant to post that in the Random MGMT Thoughts thread? ???

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »

I stole the key from your pocket and broke out. Now I'm all over da shop!

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »

team matt.

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »

I vomit when I cry okay? Thatta problem?

pookey

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »

butterfly time to die.

first single, i bet.

plenty of radio airplay, i reckon.

political misconceptions, maybe: massive mayan conspirator appeal, certainly bb...b  :-*

shra

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »

Are you high or something?

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2012, 09:04:06 PM »

Are you high or something?

d'ya think?

shra

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2012, 09:21:05 PM »

mmmhmmm

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »

i always get you confused with 'pukey' from the mgmt van thing in new york, that's not you is it?

disco

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »

i always get you confused with 'pukey' from the mgmt van thing in new york, that's not you is it?

OMFG PUKEY!!!!!   Good times....goooood times.

pookey

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2012, 09:34:21 PM »

are you high maintenance?

and no I doubt it. pukey sounds like a regrettably deserved nickname.
but if you put 'pawty' after it, that'd be koo.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2012, 09:35:45 PM »

i wish it was him, we were all rooting for him, beaming good vibes from all over the world to times square mcdonalds  :-[

disco

pookey

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »

nevermind.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »

i wish it was him, we were all rooting for him, beaming good vibes from all over the world to times square mcdonalds  :-[

The good old days of the forum.  We need the return of the Pukeys and Scoops.

Sizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »

The good old days of the forum.  We need the return of the Pukeys and Scoops.

YES

RaptorLove

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FFRIP9i223k&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FFRIP9i223k&amp;</a>

Not sure if you guys have found this yet, but it's the full live stream. Pretty good quality. Alien Days is around 27:47. Enjoy  ;D

Lucille

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2012, 12:40:26 AM »

thx! Downloading, i was looking soooo much for this!

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2012, 06:43:10 AM »

This song is beautiful! Really starting to love it. I can see where they are going.

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »

I'm really falling in love with it. The boops and bops and bass and thought-provoking lyrics bring me new emotions, as always.

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FFRIP9i223k&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FFRIP9i223k&amp;</a>

Not sure if you guys have found this yet, but it's the full live stream. Pretty good quality. Alien Days is around 27:47. Enjoy  ;D

i love you bish  :-*

team matt.

ac7891

• View Profile
Re: MGMT's New Song - Alien Days
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »

Gosh, thank you so much for that full set. it was so great!!! loved every minute
Music is a feeling...

puredaze

• Tend to the void, don't just fill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »

Thank you!!

Can James just play the piccolo (?) before Pieces of What every time now?

"sunny's sunnies sonny son sun sunn l(o)l sing song. - Andrew VanWyngarden"

Maia

• Are we so different?
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »

I filmed the whole song. I still have to download it tho.
IT'S A GREAT SONG!

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »

IT'S A GREAT SONG!

I love your avatar pic with your project Maia!  :-*

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »

IT'S A GREAT SONG!

same!!!  :)

team matt.

Ryan15693

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2012, 06:40:29 AM »

The video of the entire Quilmes Rock performance went down. :(

Does anyone have an MP3 of this song? It's awesome, I need it in my life!

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »

is there any versions for mp3. i have one but has any better ones surfaced?

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »

WE HAVE BEEN ASKED NOT TO POST MP3 LINKS ON THE FOURM.

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »

what about emails??

Maia

• Are we so different?
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »

IT'S A GREAT SONG!

same!!!  :)
Awww thank you very very much girls!
ANDREW AND JAMES SIGNED IT! And Andrew wrote "Wooza, nice work". Now I can die and I'll rest forever in peace lol. I'll upload a picture later, Im not home yet, It looks like I dont want to leae this city LOL.

Ryan15693

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »

Sorry, saw the mediafire link earlier in the thread, thought it was alright

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2012, 12:59:24 PM »

No worries, It wasn't removed because the upload link has been disabled.  I personally think it's like bailing out a flood with a dixie cup, however since this is an "Official Forum" I can certainly understand why this rule exists.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2012, 01:02:01 PM »

if you want to find a link, go and look on some fan blogs on tumblr, they're not hard to find

messaging a link to a download on the forum, it wouldn't be out in the open but it'd still be a little disrespectful given the fact that we've been asked not to post stuff. the moderators can still see it and know it's happening

disco

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »

if you want to find a link, go and look on some fan blogs on tumblr, they're not hard to find

messaging a link to a download on the forum, it wouldn't be out in the open but it'd still be a little disrespectful given the fact that we've been asked not to post stuff. the moderators can still see it and know it's happening

Not to mention that when Congratulations leaked our PMs were disabled :(

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »

yeah that's exactly what was I was just thinking! You can bet we're going to bust you up if you get the entire messaging system brought down just because you can be bothered to read the rules.

maybe when it's closer to the time and there's more potential for that sort of thing to happen then a mod could put a warning in the 'News' bar on the top of the forum

disco

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »

yeah that's exactly what was I was just thinking! You can bet we're going to bust you up if you get the entire messaging system brought down just because you can be bothered to read the rules.

maybe when it's closer to the time and there's more potential for that sort of thing to happen then a mod could put a warning in the 'News' bar on the top of the forum

In flashing Neon.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »

Honestly, I didn't think the link would last anyway.  However, a lot of us were interested in having a good quality version so we could listen without all the distortion and fan noises we had in the other versions. Good thing there are lots of videos of it out there you could turn into mp3's yourself.      ::)

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

Honestly, I didn't think the link would last anyway.  However, a lot of us were interested in having a good quality version so we could listen without all the distortion and fan noises we had in the other versions. Good thing there are lots of videos of it out there you could turn into mp3's yourself.      ::)

In all seriousness, we need to be careful and respectful of the rules.  We're given great freedom here but when the hammer falls, it falls hard.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »

In all serious, we need to be careful and respectful of the rules.  We're given great freedom here but when the hammer falls, it falls hard.

Yup and like it was said earlier there are other places to get the mp3 just not here where we are all going to try and behave. 

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »

behave? I don't know the meaning of the word

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »

mte.

team matt.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »

I walk that line as well.

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2012, 04:18:34 PM »

naughty!

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »

naughty!

that's my middle name

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »

naughty!

that's my middle name

Really??!

Mine is just Edmond Francis!

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2012, 06:05:39 PM »

This video has a pretty decent sound. Dedicated to Daisy and Veronica for liking the song lol  :-*

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2BiQ3aI9mQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=es_MX" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/F2BiQ3aI9mQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=es_MX</a>

team matt.

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »

Bubble, I fucking love you.

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »

team matt.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »

This video has a pretty decent sound. Dedicated to Daisy and Veronica for liking the song lol  :-*

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2BiQ3aI9mQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=es_MX" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/F2BiQ3aI9mQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=es_MX</a>

That would be Veronica as is our own lovely puredaze who is very sane and lives on the east coast.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »

hey i'm in the "i like the song" club too!

the brasil gig is tomorrow right? i can't wait until they get to mexico where they're doing solo shows so they might be able to fit in more new material (perhaps another new song, hint hint)

disco

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »

Yeah it's tomorrow. I also like the song for the record.

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »

just going to leave this here.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »

we need to make badges or something

disco

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »

team matt.

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »

I'm listening to this song like, averaging 15 times a day. Will I ruin it?? I dont care. I hope it's a single so there's a video. And its very fitting for 2012
Music is a feeling...

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »

This song gives me a serious Bowie vibe.

RaptorLove

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »

YAY

puredaze

• Tend to the void, don't just fill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »

That would be Veronica as is our own lovely puredaze who is very sane and lives on the east coast.

Thanks Lala  ;D

yes, I'm not the one making random appearances on news shows talking about how to stay younger.

"sunny's sunnies sonny son sun sunn l(o)l sing song. - Andrew VanWyngarden"

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2012, 08:02:07 AM »

Bubble, I fucking love you.

OMFG that is so fucking weird, I am watching that film for the first time right now, a friend of mine told me to watch it, she told me that I would be crying by the end.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »

debbie if you're going to look at this thread so damn much you might as well post

disco

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »

debbie if you're going to look at this thread so damn much you might as well post

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »

I'm curious about the subject matter.  I suppose it depends on your interpretation of the metaphors though. 

Cool Kitten No. 2

• View Profile
    • ♫
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »

ok this song was so beautiful at lolla brazil

yeeeeeey they're now playing siberian breaks on the livestream
meow

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2012, 10:46:08 PM »

to me, in a giant nutshell, the whole song is about cosmic magic that is so displaced in modern life, about the truth and reality of our life that the good know about instinctively and being aware of the injustices that the bad brings the world, about knowing and dealing with knowing and being conscious and feeding on inspiration, divine light, creativity, love - the dreamer's honey.
Music is a feeling...

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »

to me, the whole song is about cosmic magic that is so displaced in modern life, about the truth and reality of our life that the good know about instinctively and being aware of the injustices that the bad brings the world, about knowing and dealing with knowing and being conscious and feeding on inspiration, on divine light, on creativity - the dreamer's honey.

deep shit man, I'm gonna have to process this for a bit

snowballreborn

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2012, 03:00:30 AM »

I think a lot of the song is actually about their Congratulations album, especially the last few lines being about  how their new album is supposed to be more restrained/appealing to a mainstream audience and how many people couldn't see Congratulation's genius right away. But that's just me.

some choice quotes:

"but here comes racer number 7
if it looks like we could lose"

"how all the scheming, soulless creatures
if it's right beneath the nose"

"be quick dear, times are uncertain
one month crawling, next year blurring"

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2012, 09:12:54 AM »

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »

it's about weed, getting high rofl mad blunts, stoner 4lyf 4/20 duh

disco

AGM

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »

Be careful if your heart stop, you will be dead. That's not cool.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »

oh wait, hey i realised at the brazil concert andrew is wearing the same panda bear t-shirth that i have. although his is pink and mine is yellow. cool breh

disco

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2012, 09:26:20 AM »

Sorry if that was super wierd, if we're simplifying it, it's always about weed
Music is a feeling...

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »

Sorry if that was super wierd, if we're simplifying it, it's always about weed

I was being silly. I get what you were trying to say :P

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »

no worries!  i always advocate silliness, and wierdness, and mgmt  8) it'd be cool to see what other people think about the lyrics  :)
Music is a feeling...

RaptorLove

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »

I thought the song was about an alien invasion.

team matt.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »

No, not invasion....it's about when Andrew was abducted by Aliens.

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »

omg that changes it all.

team matt.

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »

amazing i can see the second verse totally fitting with that... the rest of it too for that matter!
Music is a feeling...

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »

I think it is about nothing. :P just a load of random trip referencial statements.

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »

I think it is about nothing. :P just a load of random trip referencial statements.

you're wrong, this song is some deep shit man.

team matt.

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »

you're wrong, this song is some deep shit man.
;D

Ryan15693

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »

Apart from It's Working, I really don't think any of their songs have anything to do with drugs at all, personally

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »

well, everyone has a different interpretation about the meanings.
personally, I think Alien Days is about self doubt, worry, ect.
But I also think that's the awesome thing about MGMT's music.
There are just so many ways it can be construed.

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »

well, everyone has a different interpretation about the meanings.
personally, I think Alien Days is about self doubt, worry, ect.
But I also think that's the awesome thing about MGMT's music.
There are just so many ways it can be construed.

Here here! Really looking forward to hearing the rest of this album is a sample.

Cool Kitten No. 2

• View Profile
    • ♫
« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »

when I listen to a song, I just give it my own meaning, based upon how the music and lyrics make me feel.  When I learn the original meanings of songs, I acknowledge them, but don't take them to heart, because that is something that resonates with the artist's life, not mine. it's cool how music and art in general are like.. so ambiguous
meow

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »

when I listen to a song, I just give it my own meaning, based upon how the music and lyrics make me feel.  When I learn the original meanings of songs, I acknowledge it, but don't take it to heart, because that it something that resonates with the artist's life, not mine. it's cool how music and art in general are like.. so ambiguous

Same.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

Marai

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »

when I listen to a song, I just give it my own meaning, based upon how the music and lyrics make me feel.  When I learn the original meanings of songs, I acknowledge it, but don't take it to heart, because that it something that resonates with the artist's life, not mine. it's cool how music and art in general are like.. so ambiguous

Very well said!  :)

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2012, 06:46:33 PM »

when I listen to a song, I just give it my own meaning, based upon how the music and lyrics make me feel.  When I learn the original meanings of songs, I acknowledge them, but don't take them to heart, because that is something that resonates with the artist's life, not mine. it's cool how music and art in general are like.. so ambiguous

This is what I love about art, music, literature, etc.  The same piece of work can have different meaning to you depending on where you are in life.  Art is in constant motion-never stagnant.  Different music suites different moods for me.  I'm terrified of flying and Siberian Breaks is like a giant Valium for me so I always reach for it when the plane takes off.  Every fucking time I forget about "Silver jet plane, making the turn....." until it comes up.  You'd think I'd learn.  ....yet I digress....

WeenieHutJr

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »

I just happened to notice on reddit today a quote form Joss Whedon that is similar to what you guys said.

"All worthy work is open to interpretations the author did not intend. Art isn't your pet -- it's your kid. It grows up and talks back to you"

I'm pretty sure andrew feels the same way about the topic, he usually doesn't divulge the entire meaning of his lyrics.

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 11, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »

This is what I love about art, music, literature, etc.  The same piece of work can have different meaning to you depending on where you are in life.  Art is in constant motion-never stagnant.  Different music suites different moods for me.  I'm terrified of flying and Siberian Breaks is like a giant Valium for me so I always reach for it when the plane takes off.  Every fucking time I forget about "Silver jet plane, making the turn....." until it comes up.  You'd think I'd learn.  ....yet I digress....

For some reason " Someone's missing " is my favourite stone song on that album.

apear

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2012, 03:00:55 AM »

Apart from It's Working, I really don't think any of their songs have anything to do with drugs at all, personally

hmmm...i believe It's Working is not about drugs. I think it's about turning on, opening the third eye.  Light in the mind, right-sided brain.  I know Andrew has said its a drug song, but remember they are musical terrorists.  They are turning you on with their sounds and most don't even real eyes it.   

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »

lol Andrew, no one believes a word you say.

team matt.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »

what does it say? lol

team matt.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »

"The last couple of years haven't exactly been kind to MGMT. Falling from indie disco dominaters faster than you can say 'CSS', Andrew VanWyngarden and Ben Goldwasser the 'difficult second album' issue by ignoring everyone who liked their first album"

that's what i've got from squinting brb downloading a copy

disco

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »

"The last couple of years haven't exactly been kind to MGMT. Falling from indie disco dominaters faster than you can say 'CSS', Andrew VanWyngarden and Ben Goldwasser the 'difficult second album' issue by ignoring everyone who liked their first album"

that's what i've got from squinting brb downloading a copy

Thanks, I can't download it right now but I'd really appreciate it if you did :)

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »

nice writer  ;)

why do they always have to give such backhanded compliments lol

disco

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »

"flashes of oddball brilliance" and "a weird and wonderful return" made me smile

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »

thanks paigey  :)

team matt.

Cool Kitten No. 2

• View Profile
    • ♫
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »

i still don't understand the "congratulations backlash"

it's not like MGMT hasn't been successful these past couple of years. it seems like many in the media are the main ones "not being kind"

ooh, their new album doesn't sound like a carbon copy of their last. i'm soo outraged and shocked. what's their beef with this band, seriously

this article seemed kind of tounge-in-cheek about it, but I mean, in general
meow

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2012, 05:19:27 AM »

I quite enjoyed that review

Narcissus

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2012, 07:34:50 AM »

I think it sounds like something from "Climbing To New Lows"  in a good way..soft and touching

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »

it's not like MGMT hasn't been successful these past couple of years. it seems like many in the media are the main ones "not being kind"

ooh, their new album doesn't sound like a carbon copy of their last. i'm soo outraged and shocked. what's their beef with this band, seriously

It's as if one person said that and the rest of the media followed suit.  I wish people would form their own opinions on the actual music rather than looking at what previous outlets have reported.  It seems those opinions come from people that only liked the singles.  Imagine if something was reported from the point of view of someone who liked the band for more than those reasons.  Then would have everyone jumped on that bandwagon?  What if Congratulations came first?  Then they would have gotten shit for different reasons.  In the end, they made an album that they love and we all love so I try and remember that.   

Azriel

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree. I wouldn't consider their second album a sophomore slump at all.  These music bloggers/critics are just out for blood for whatever reason( well I have an inkling but I don't want to go into details). 

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:41 PM »

As much as I get annoyed by the constant talk about their singles, i can't help but think if these singles had never come out, i might not even know about them or they might not even be a signed band. you never know. they're the epitome of irony and i'm happy that the songs gave them popularity which allowed them to become a band in their own right. the fact that they're so different then what mainstream people think about them I think is awesome.

i'm also thankful they didn't just fade away due to pressure, especially because they are not an "electro indie" band. they denied that false fame and popularity and straying from the truth. when you look back at this band in the future, there will definitely be an interesting, unique story to tell. and if kids had never been recorded, they may never have reached this point. they're carving their own path and stick up for what they believe in and that adds to why i love them so much. so the reviewers can say whatever they want about congratulations, they'll just look silly after.

but anyway im glad the song got a good review :D
Music is a feeling...

Azriel

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2012, 11:31:24 PM »

i'm also thankful they didn't just fade away due to pressure, especially because they are not an "electro indie" band. they denied that false fame and popularity and straying from the truth. when you look back at this band in the future, there will definitely be an interesting, unique story to tell. and if kids had never been recorded, they may never have reached this point. they're carving their own path and stick up for what they believe in and that adds to why i love them so much. so the reviewers can say whatever they want about congratulations, they'll just look silly after.

me too. I know it's a selfish thing to say, but I never want them to stop making music. They are one of the few bands out there that I am really , truly rooting for.

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 15, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »

Same! But if they do break up if they at least keep making music separately, I will take that. But that will never ever happen, because they'll be together forever  8)
Music is a feeling...

Notoc

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2012, 12:30:51 AM »

I love it when new people come onto this forum because their first posts are always these long really serious critiques of MGMT and their music. I remember the days when I wasn't spamming gifs and instead talked about headbands. Good times.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2012, 04:56:39 AM »

The past couple of years have been tough.  It's rough selling out venues all over the world.

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »

It's rough selling out venues all over the world.

epic

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2012, 10:28:56 PM »

The past couple of years have been tough.  It's rough selling out venues all over the world.

Electric Eel

• you're my sunshine, you're my rain
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »

I know it sounds stupid coming from an MGMT fan, but i just can't get my head around it.
What didn't people like about Congratulations?
I don't feel Oracular Spectacular was so different from Congratulations that they 'sounded like a different band' or
'were trying to get famous and mainstream' and all that bs.
I keep wondering about why Congratulations got such poor sales.

I hate you

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »

hmmm, maybe you listen to them a lot but if you take a break and actually hear songs from those albums they do sound really quite different, the production style is without a doubt massively different.

of course there were hints of what was to come so if anyone was truly following the band closely and had listened to their interviews/influences and metanoia they wouldn't be as surprised but i think they were really quite different albums.

i think stuff starts getting pretty weird when you begin to think about charting and sales etc. who knows, maybe five years from now people will talk about that 'one hit wonder band, MGMT' and wonder where they are now which would seem quite weird to us since we've been watching their every move. who knows what to come though, they've only (seriously) released two albums, the future is full of possiblities and i guess that's the excitement. who really knows if this period has only been a foreword to their musical story or if we'll soon see the last chapter and final page?

ps: i think this is the kind of thing that belongs in the random thoughts thread

disco

lettus

• Jiménez con J
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »

;D ;D ;D I loved this song! they played it at Lollapalooza Chile and they made us sing the peoww peoww part it was awesome!!

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »

mgmt sales for congratulations were actually the highest ever in the first week of the albums release

it died down i think once the electro nutz realized what they were buying

im so happy it is what it is :) and i hope they build on it for the new album, which i think they will. the album really resonates with me, and for all the many many many times ive listened to it, it's now a part of me. for everrrr
Music is a feeling...

MrPsychedelic101

• show me where it hurts
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »

I know it sounds stupid coming from an MGMT fan, but i just can't get my head around it.
What didn't people like about Congratulations?
I don't feel Oracular Spectacular was so different from Congratulations that they 'sounded like a different band' or
'were trying to get famous and mainstream' and all that bs.
I keep wondering about why Congratulations got such poor sales.

When Congratulations first came it was just misunderstood. A lot of people (ESPECIALLY the media) misinterpreted Ben and Andrew's attempt at sarcasm on the first record. Tracks like Time to Pretend, Electric Feel and Kids made everyone think they weren't serious about music and just wanted to make generic pop songs (intro-verse-hook-verse-hook-outro). Also their first hits were featured EVERYWHERE (commercials, video games, movies, tv shows, etc.) so that made everyone think they were just in it for the money.
When THOSE people bought Oracular Spectacular most of them HATED everything after Kids on the tracklist (4th Dimensional Transition-Future Reflections) and didn't "get" it because they thought MGMT were just these hipster kids talking about heroin, cocaine, sex and growing up (I sadly know many of these people), whereas those last songs like "Pieces of What", "The Handshake" or "Of Moons, Birds & Monsters" have a much deeper, abstract message about fame and the music industry.
So, years later the mainstream media already had this image of MGMT as the hipster kids who talk about cocaine in there head rather than the 'real" them. This whole idea of the band's sudden rise to success is what their second album is all about.

The real problem started when a few weeks before Congratulations came out most of the media expected that same "pop-singles" band and sent out early reviews of the album and basically told the world that their new album is crappy surf rock stuff. So that right there made tons of MGMT fans who only downloaded the singles from OS skeptical of what the new album would be like.
Basically, most of the people who didn't like that second half of OS listened to Congratulations once or twice and called it shit (hence the great first week/month sales, then the drop off).
Whereas the people who gave it a chance and found the deeper meaning in the album (like they did with the second half of OS) found that it was a fucking MASTERPIECE OF MASTERFUL GLORY!

Also, When MGMT started touring with the album a lot of people who said it was shit originally realized that it IS a pretty natural progression and fell in love with their TRUE style, Not the sarcastic stuff that Andrew and Ben wrote in 2004-2005 but what they call the more "honest" side of them. I think they said in an interview that they didn't want to "force anything and try to make another album with sarcastic songs like Time to Pretend (that they wrote just for fun in college)

So yeah, it just took time for people to understand who the band really was and where they were truly coming from because of the media and preconceptions fucking with people's minds. As for the sound I feel the transition between albums flows beautifully. Play "Future Reflections" into "It's Working" and you'll see what I mean.

Hope that helped, peace!

ALIEN DAYS FUCKING ROCKS BTW!!!!!!!  ;D

Electric Eel

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »

Hmm...interesting point.  I'd forgotten that in the first week or so, they topped the charts.
But if it got so complicated with just their first two albums, what the fook is the third gonna bring to this?
Are the media gonna attack them like Congratulations, or choke out what they don't want to say, which is if they actually like it.
If this was a free world, i wouldn't give a shit about what the media thinks, but i think it actually plays a small role.

There are people out there that only listen to what the media have to say.  If they don't like it, the public won't like it.
The public doesn't like it, that's bad news for MGMT.

But you can't get a good idea yet, most of the news stories about Alien Days so far have been them saying what it sounds like, but
not if they like it or not.  So, well, i dunno.
I hate you

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2012, 11:13:09 PM »

yeah... the sales definitely dipped later after that initial high. but who cares about sales anyway! we know why they were high. and all this talk is correct, mgmt is doing something that goes high above people's heads. lets just relish in the fact that they deserve their niche in popular music and the exclusivity of this tiny corner of pop that's re-awakening musical eras! it's kind of cool that the media doesn't really speak so highly of them after congrats. it keeps the real fans visible. as long as mgmt truly keeps their mission statement to create the type of music they like and they expect of themselves, not what anybody else expects of them, mastering the realm of pop music, then we have absolutely nothing to worry about for the third album and all that will come after. if my foresight serves me right, they'll keep growing on each album, not recessing. if the third album is a too polished, too radio friendly, not very unique version of their music, if they start sounding like everybody else, i will have doubted their whole existence - but thats why i know it wont happen, because they are too real to ever be doubted! after all theyve said about their music... i can tell they're on the height of their musical journey that knows no ends. the way i see it too, they're still high up on music festivals lists, still sell out shows, and most importantly still add to the scope, progression and experimentation of new music. yeah can u tell im TOO EXCITED FOR MORE NEW MUSIC
Music is a feeling...

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »

Nice perspective, I really enjoyed reading that.

Azriel

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 01, 2012, 12:20:58 AM »

There are people out there that only listen to what the media have to say.  If they don't like it, the public won't like it.
The public doesn't like it, that's bad news for MGMT.

But you can't get a good idea yet, most of the news stories about Alien Days so far have been them saying what it sounds like, but
not if they like it or not.  So, well, i dunno.

True, but isn't that how MGMT got popular in the first place? without media outlets generating buzz about them in '08, I don't think they'd be as massively popular as they are today.. or even visible to the general public ,iykwim? It's just too bad how fickle and hurtful the media is sometimes. But I think with " Congratulations" they broke new grounds and escaped being pigeonholed.

Electric Eel

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2012, 03:16:24 AM »

Yeah.  Well, i think there are just some bands that the media doesn't deserve.
Some bands that they'll never understand...like MGMT.
MGMT's way out of their league.
If the media want someone to attack, go fook with JLS or whatever the hell they're called.
It should be left to the people who can understand and appreciate the music and see it for what it is...aka us.
I hate you

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 01, 2012, 07:50:41 PM »

BTW! Andrew's been telling the latino media that the album will be out in SEPTEMBER!! And since it takes about 3 months for mixing, that means it's PRETTY MUCH DONE!!! Or will be done by June, in a month. HURRRAHHHHH ;D

Do you have evidence of this?  A link?  That's def. not what I heard.

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »

I'm in shock right now because I cant find the spanish websites that i saw anywhere so i've concluded it was a dream and im very embarassed. there were a couple nights recently i only had a few hours of sleep so... blame my over active and impatient for new mgmt imagination. this happens sometimes :( and its confusing as hell!!! i apologize profusely on behalf of it.
Music is a feeling...

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »

I didn't mean for it to sound accusatory.  I was just stunned.

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 01, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »

Haha don't worry I'm glad you asked... If I knew it wasn't true I'd do the same thing!
Music is a feeling...

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:33 PM »

I've read all the latino interviews and i can almost assure you that those words never came out of Andrew's mouth. But I remember an article (mexican I think) with the title:  "MGMT's new album coming out in September". I wonder where they got that info from.

team matt.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »

I've read all the latino interviews and i can almost assure you that those words never came out of Andrew's mouth. But I remember an article (mexican I think) with the title:  "MGMT's new album coming out in September". I wonder where they got that info from.

It was a quote from a Columbia suit that was erroneous, either the quoter or the quotee.

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »

It was a quote from a Columbia suit that was erroneous, either the quoter or the quotee.

we must never forget the words: don't believe everything you read.

team matt.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »

Robert Stringer of Columbia Records said the album was due for September (although in some sources September has since been removed).  Some people are interpreting that as the album will be in their hands in September.  But I looked at it more as a tentative date for it to possibly be completed and handed over to Columbia, not as in it will be on the shelves by then.  Just my take though.   

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »

Robert Stringer of Columbia Records said the album was due for September (although in some sources September has since been removed).  Some people are interrupting that as the album will be in their hands in September.  But I looked at it more as a tentative date for it to possibly be completed and handed over to Columbia, not as in it will be on the shelves by then.  Just my take though.   

I love autocorrect.

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »

Ahh fucking shit.  Correct that google chrome. 

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 01, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »

Actually, in the case of MGMT and the media, Rarely believe anything you read. 

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2012, 09:33:58 PM »

Actually, in the case of MGMT and the media, Rarely believe anything you read.

tru dat.

team matt.

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »

Robert Stringer of Columbia Records said the album was due for September (although in some sources September has since been removed).  Some people are interpreting that as the album will be in their hands in September.  But I looked at it more as a tentative date for it to possibly be completed and handed over to Columbia, not as in it will be on the shelves by then.  Just my take though.   

Hahaha Alright, I will stop spreading erroneous information (by accident!!i really believed it) and let them record their album in peace and time, as they obviously wish. But yeah the record man probably meant making it was due to be completed after summer ends... makes sense creatively. I'm going to pretend i didn't read that and not set a date for when it might be done, in the classic move of avoiding disappointment. Though I will not be disappointed to see new song/s played live at osheaga 8) instead that's what i'll be looking forward to! August 3! ;D

Also in my defense, not great at French but... http://www.24matins.fr/mgmt-vers-un-troisieme-album-pour-septembre-2012-13247
Music is a feeling...

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2012, 02:59:21 PM »

Nice perspective, I really enjoyed reading that.

Thanks  ;D me too!
Music is a feeling...

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »

Hahaha Alright, I will stop spreading erroneous information (by accident!!i really believed it) and let them record their album in peace and time, as they obviously wish. But yeah the record man probably meant making it was due to be completed after summer ends... makes sense creatively. I'm going to pretend i didn't read that and not set a date for when it might be done, in the classic move of avoiding disappointment. Though I will not be disappointed to see new song/s played live at osheaga 8) instead that's what i'll be looking forward to! August 3! ;D

Also in my defense, not great at French but... http://www.24matins.fr/mgmt-vers-un-troisieme-album-pour-septembre-2012-13247

Yeah, a lot of people picked up on the suit's quote.  It's still not happening.

Azriel

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2012, 01:47:04 AM »

I really can't wait for the third album. Hopefully by the end of this year they'd have a finished product. If it sounds kinda like what we all heard from their Guggenheim gig, man, that would be a huge plus.

Staralfur

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2012, 02:34:27 AM »

The article says that the 3rd album is scheduled for september normally, so it's not sure.

However, it says that Andrew told reporters that five pieces had already been completed, that is a fact.  :)

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »

you know what? I'm not going to believe anything at all.
I'm just going to wait for the day that I hear from Andrew or Ben or Will Or Matt or James that it's coming out on a specific date.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 04, 2012, 08:38:49 PM »

I give up.

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 04, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »

...yup

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 05, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »

george, help!

team matt.

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 05, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »

george, help!

George would need to call on Krishna for this one

AGM

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2012, 01:35:40 PM »

george, help!

Let's wait in silence , hare hare .OM.

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 06, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »

george, help!

Let's wait in silence , hare hare .OM.
OM

Notoc

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »

AGM

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »

don't tell me that you prefer to keep on going with all the uncertain predictions ...
(?)

Notoc

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »

don't tell me that you prefer to keep on going with all the uncertain predictions ...
(?)

What? It'll get here when it gets here.

AGM

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »

(?)

What? It'll get here when it gets here.

v1kingfan

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 27, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »

Hey, I'm new here but I just wanted to say that I love this song.  Anybody have any thoughts on who he refers to when he says racer number 7?

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 27, 2012, 03:28:03 PM »

Hey, I'm new here but I just wanted to say that I love this song.  Anybody have any thoughts on who he refers to when he says racer number 7?

Number 7: The Bullet-Proof Bomb (a.k.a. The Roaring Plenty), driven by The Ant Hill Mob (led by Clyde, with Danny, Kurby, Mac, Ring-A-Ding, Rug Bug Benny and Willy) - gangsters in a 1920's saloon car. They all appeared in the later spin-off series "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop", but with name changes (still led by Clyde, the others then being Dum Dum, Pockets, Snoozy, Softy, Yak Yak and Zippy) and a new sentient car, Chugga-Boom.

MrPsychedelic101

• show me where it hurts
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 27, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »

A few of my friends and I were talking about that very line and we came to this conclusion:
Obviously it's just our opinion but we feel the song is about a Global Awakening of sorts. Generally, people speak of these coming decades as a rebirth of Humanity as we have a bunch of imminent issues that need to be solved (Economic Crises, Global Warming, Transition from Oil to Cleaner Energies, Preservation of Water, Civil Rights issues etc.) so right now we're living in the "Alien Days" VanWynGarden mentioned in a YouTube video titled "Mental Mystics", something about how we're entering a new generation of Love (hence an Awakening- he was probably very high when he said that lol, but it's True).
Some times things work out for us, some times they don't, and sometimes it feels as though all of these problems will always haunt Humanity (the Non-stop Alien Days). the World may not open their eyes until it's already too late (which is what people are afraid of) and it's confusing to Andrew because although a lot of things seem so great around us right now, he knows that there are still a lot of problems to be solved ("It's a blessing but it's also a curse") and he wants to alert himself and people to not give up although times may be uncertain "Today, find infinite ways it could be plenty worse". Especially because most of those problems reveal themselves gradually, like Climate Change/Global Warming and right now everything seems okay "The floodgate Alien Days, I Love those Alien Days"
So, That's basically our analysis of the song. But now getting to the "racer number seven" line, which a lot of people have different interpretations of obviously. I tend to view most of MGMT's lyrics having a symbolic meaning behind them (especially in the second half of Oracular and especially METANOIA onwards) - of course, there's some to be taken literally, but for the most part I feel a lot of it is quite abstract.

"And when the light is new, the sky shows trembling cartoons, you don't need smoke to cover most of the world in a gloom, and here comes Racer Number Seven, watch my fingers ripping out the Lines, if it looks like we could lose"

What me and my friends got from the conclusion is that he's talking about the end of the Alien Days (obviously, it's the end of the song) and how in this new Age of Information and Immense access to Knowledge, there are basically no secrets anymore as "Truth and Knowledge" can be found just by having an Internet connection or Educated people around you. So by the end of these Fucked up Alien Days there won't be "smoke to cover most of the world in a gloom". But he knows that most people feel that we won't be able to fully change as their are always things stalling progress, so the next line is talking about a smart revolutionary person/concept that will be able to convince people that you don't need material bullshit to be happy. All you need is love, friends, family and to find happiness within yourself.

More specifically with the Seven line, some Shamans/Spiritual Teachers/Mathematicians say the number 7 is a very important number for many reasons but one is that they claim "Seven is the number of the natural world", how there are seven days of the week (and then a rebirth, a new week begins), 7 notes on a musical scale (Diatonic/Major Scale), 7 Colours in the Visible Spectrum of Light (ROYGBIV) (Apparently, Andrew planned to study Natural Sciences and Astronomy before he met Ben, so he definitely knows about dat shyt-it's on Wiki and he talked about it) but most importantly they mention 7 directions:
Left - Right
Up - Down
Front - Back
and the seventh, The Center or "the Middle" of an object (And it's this last piece that unites all of the other ones) -- type in "Significance of the Number Seven" and you'll find dozens of links to this stuff. The main argument is about that is "The connecting of the six attibutes at the center of the shape fundamentally reveals the nature of Seven. It unites them"

So for that line we feel Andrew is symbolically referring to Someone or Something that is able to not just teach someone Up from Down, Left from Right, but teach them about the true nature of themselves, the Inside, forming an Internal Rebirth and once people begin having Internal Rebirths, the World will be ready for a Global Rebirth. So, Racer Number Seven would be this person or concept. The next line would refer to the moment when the World is ready for a Rebirth and to finally change its ways, MGMT will be right behind them and forget about the boundaries of countries and forget about our differences as people ("The Lines dividing us") and UNITE AS ONE "Here comes Racer Number Seven, watch my Fingers Ripping Out the Lines". But only if it looks like we could lose, if we don't do anything and stay trapped within the Alien Days, i.e. a society of judgement etc. So basically I feel this song (like a lot of MGMT's songs) is a social commentary.
Hope this helped!!! And again, it's just our interpretation of this masterpiece of a song, we could be completely wrong as Andrew is such a mind-bending lyricist. Peace!!!

v1kingfan

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 27, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »

A few of my friends and I were talking about that very line and we came to this conclusion:
Obviously it's just our opinion but we feel the song is about a Global Awakening of sorts. Generally, people speak of these coming decades as a rebirth of Humanity as we have a bunch of imminent issues that need to be solved (Economic Crises, Global Warming, Transition from Oil to Cleaner Energies, Preservation of Water, Civil Rights issues etc.) so right now we're living in the "Alien Days" VanWynGarden mentioned in a YouTube video titled "Mental Mystics", something about how we're entering a new generation of Love (hence an Awakening- he was probably very high when he said that lol, but it's True).
Some times things work out for us, some times they don't, and sometimes it feels as though all of these problems will always haunt Humanity (the Non-stop Alien Days). the World may not open their eyes until it's already too late (which is what people are afraid of) and it's confusing to Andrew because although a lot of things seem so great around us right now, he knows that there are still a lot of problems to be solved ("It's a blessing but it's also a curse") and he wants to alert himself and people to not give up although times may be uncertain "Today, find infinite ways it could be plenty worse". Especially because most of those problems reveal themselves gradually, like Climate Change/Global Warming and right now everything seems okay "The floodgate Alien Days, I Love those Alien Days"
So, That's basically our analysis of the song. But now getting to the "racer number seven" line, which a lot of people have different interpretations of obviously. I tend to view most of MGMT's lyrics having a symbolic meaning behind them (especially in the second half of Oracular and especially METANOIA onwards) - of course, there's some to be taken literally, but for the most part I feel a lot of it is quite abstract.

"And when the light is new, the sky shows trembling cartoons, you don't need smoke to cover most of the world in a gloom, and here comes Racer Number Seven, watch my fingers ripping out the Lines, if it looks like we could lose"

What me and my friends got from the conclusion is that he's talking about the end of the Alien Days (obviously, it's the end of the song) and how in this new Age of Information and Immense access to Knowledge, there are basically no secrets anymore as "Truth and Knowledge" can be found just by having an Internet connection or Educated people around you. So by the end of these Fucked up Alien Days there won't be "smoke to cover most of the world in a gloom". But he knows that most people feel that we won't be able to fully change as their are always things stalling progress, so the next line is talking about a smart revolutionary person/concept that will be able to convince people that you don't need material bullshit to be happy. All you need is love, friends, family and to find happiness within yourself.

More specifically with the Seven line, some Shamans/Spiritual Teachers/Mathematicians say the number 7 is a very important number for many reasons but one is that they claim "Seven is the number of the natural world", how there are seven days of the week (and then a rebirth, a new week begins), 7 notes on a musical scale (Diatonic/Major Scale), 7 Colours in the Visible Spectrum of Light (ROYGBIV) (Apparently, Andrew planned to study Natural Sciences and Astronomy before he met Ben, so he definitely knows about dat shyt-it's on Wiki and he talked about it) but most importantly they mention 7 directions:
Left - Right
Up - Down
Front - Back
and the seventh, The Center or "the Middle" of an object (And it's this last piece that unites all of the other ones) -- type in "Significance of the Number Seven" and you'll find dozens of links to this stuff. The main argument is about that is "The connecting of the six attibutes at the center of the shape fundamentally reveals the nature of Seven. It unites them"

So for that line we feel Andrew is symbolically referring to Someone or Something that is able to not just teach someone Up from Down, Left from Right, but teach them about the true nature of themselves, the Inside, forming an Internal Rebirth and once people begin having Internal Rebirths, the World will be ready for a Global Rebirth. So, Racer Number Seven would be this person or concept. The next line would refer to the moment when the World is ready for a Rebirth and to finally change its ways, MGMT will be right behind them and forget about the boundaries of countries and forget about our differences as people ("The Lines dividing us") and UNITE AS ONE "Here comes Racer Number Seven, watch my Fingers Ripping Out the Lines". But only if it looks like we could lose, if we don't do anything and stay trapped within the Alien Days, i.e. a society of judgement etc. So basically I feel this song (like a lot of MGMT's songs) is a social commentary.
Hope this helped!!! And again, it's just our interpretation of this masterpiece of a song, we could be completely wrong as Andrew is such a mind-bending lyricist. Peace!!!

I completely agree with your interpretation.  Andrews song lyrics are always very symbolic and far out.  My first thought about the number seven made me think of the bible, because it is mentioned countless times throughout. So I'm assuming the number seven is universally seen as a very unique and important number. I'm assuming this racer they are referring to is the last prophet or buddha that is expected to return.

audrey palmer

• *get lucky riff*
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 27, 2012, 06:21:52 PM »

holy shit dude

disco

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 27, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »

this is my interpretation of Alien Days

ac7891

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36:39 AM »

Amazing job !!! That was a beautiful interpretation. I believe a lot of the things you explained. It is a social commentary and that's what I love to see in art, especially with MGMT's brain bending music. And on a personal note I believe we're getting closer to this "global rebirth" and will also stand with this racer number seven who will usher in this new era. Long live intricate, metaphorical and spiritual MGMT lyrics!
Music is a feeling...

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 28, 2012, 12:38:59 AM »

Shit's getting deep up in here.

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 28, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »

i really wish i could hear a clear version of this song

v1kingfan

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 28, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »

This is the best version I have been able to findhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMWkJrLtBUQ&feature=BFa&list=PL5487F14593B3DCCF

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »

This is the best version I have been able to findhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMWkJrLtBUQ&feature=BFa&list=PL5487F14593B3DCCF

That one's pretty rough.  There are some better ones posted in this thread.  This one is probably the best: 
MGMT en Argentina - Alien Days - Quilmes Rock, River Plate, Buenos Aires 03/04/2012

Laika

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 02, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »

Whole bunch of crazy up in this thread.

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 02, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »

Whole bunch of crazy up in this thread.

Elephant

• View Profile
Re: Alien Days - MGMT's New Song
« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2012, 12:26:41 AM »

Damn! I can't wait for the new album! I hope it comes out sometime this year

EPS

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »

Still no studio quality version of this song?

Fairytale of Hurt

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »

I don't think we will get that unless it shows up on their next album.

Azriel

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »

have they said anything about playing new songs other than Alien Days for their upcoming concerts?

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 22, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »

have they said anything about playing new songs other than Alien Days for their upcoming concerts?

No they haven't...we can hope, but...idk.

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 22, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »

I think with this album, they might be a little more careful of the new tunes they're playing live.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2012, 03:27:12 AM »

I think with this album, they might be a little more careful of the new tunes they're playing live.

Yeah, some bitch taped Dan Treacey, It's Working and Congratulations in Memphis in 2009 and put them on line...the spread like wildfire.

backs out of thread, whistling

Hunter Clark

• gone with the wind fabulous.
    • View Profile
    • facebook page
« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2012, 03:55:00 AM »

LOL, I love you, you cunty bitch.
6-18-10 8-14-10 10-29-10 11-4-10 4-29-11 7-13-13 11-27-13 6-17-14

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2012, 03:57:01 AM »

LOL, I love you, you cunty bitch.

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2012, 08:00:28 AM »

Yeah, some bitch taped Dan Treacey, It's Working and Congratulations in Memphis in 2009 and put them on line...the spread like wildfire.

I love you.

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2012, 11:41:27 AM »

I love you.
:-*

Bubble

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 23, 2012, 11:46:11 AM »

not some bitch, the HBIC.  8)

team matt.

tdawgsmitty

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »

question...Where is MGMT?!?!?!!?!?

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 02, 2012, 06:40:40 PM »

save us mgmt
station to station

EPS

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 13, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »

You think MGMT is part of the illuminati too?^^

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 15, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »

no I think they are the opposite
if there is an opposite to such madness.
the whole world is its opposite, every atom and particle and fleck of dust is the opposite of that.
every aspect of nature.
because there is no survival of the fittest if one has a rifle and the other is a herd of gazelles thinking they are prancing through a field,
albeit dangerous because there are predators, but not unfairly so.
i think mgmt believe in following their heart and not a creed
or what is easiest.
station to station

EPS

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 15, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »

no I think they are the opposite
if there is an opposite to such madness.
the whole world is its opposite, every atom and particle and fleck of dust is the opposite of that.
every aspect of nature.
because there is no survival of the fittest if one has a rifle and the other is a herd of gazelles thinking they are prancing through a field,
albeit dangerous because there are predators, but not unfairly so.
i think mgmt believe in following their heart and not a creed
or what is easiest.

Well, I think the illuminati is great and I will be there once they hold sign-ups.

Think of all the cool things they can do like traveling, etc..

hannuuuuh

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »

having disappeared from the forum for a while (not having internet access until now hasn't helped), I love how this sounds, but I'll be happy to hear the studio version :)  I really like this though!  at this point, though, I think it's hard for me to dislike anything MGMT puts out.

misty

• View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 12, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »

I wasn't a fan at first but after hearing it live I have some love for it :)

FlashFeeltheElectricDelir

• find the dreamer's honey in the hive
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »

Hello there,
Just came across a new music video for MGMT's song " Alien Days ". Very awesome concept for a fan vid. Sounds like they used a live performance of the song for the audio. Their jam at the end sounds beautiful. Can't Wait for the Final version!!!! Enjoy!

MGMT - Alien Days (Music Video - HD)

Maria_Dear

• Sugar shake and lemon twist it
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 19, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »

Sooo this is my first listen... Yoooo! I am no longer MGMTs biggest fan so out of the loop *sobs*. Not sure why I'm being reminded of Ian Curtis with those vocals. Specifically 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'. Anyway, pretty cool. :)
If you want to take a chance I feel for you x

mcfly88

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »

Sooo this is my first listen... Yoooo! I am no longer MGMTs biggest fan so out of the loop *sobs*. Not sure why I'm being reminded of Ian Curtis with those vocals. Specifically 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'. Anyway, pretty cool. :)
The video above is a live video, studio version is out tomorrow.
The empty sky surrounds me, but I can't see at all. Wide open arms can feel so cold...

Maria_Dear

• Sugar shake and lemon twist it
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »

The video above is a live video, studio version is out tomorrow.

Sweet!
If you want to take a chance I feel for you x

Gold Coast

• Don't dig too deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 20, 2013, 01:23:19 PM »

It's really good wow I was so caught off guard with the beginning though   ;D

lala

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 20, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uG2Pgd6Tm7Q&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uG2Pgd6Tm7Q&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Rachel

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 21, 2013, 01:15:33 AM »

It's so addictive.  :o

Psychedelic

• We don't care.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 21, 2013, 05:45:35 AM »

"Alien Days" is even better than I expected after listenning to the live version.
It makes me euphoric, but I'm really sad I can't find their cassingle in my little town, in France.
Anyway, the album is gonna be awesome, for sure!!
WE GOT THE HANDSHAKE UNDER OUR TONGUE.

Mell2045

• Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 23, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »

My ears are exploding. I'm so excited for any 12 year old who listens to this song and gets turned on to MGMT. Welcome down the rabbit hole fellow kittens; you won't be back up for quite some time ;).
M-G-M Elephant Butthole T

Let's pretend we never touched the sugar.

But you know what they say, a distorted reality is now a necessity to be free.

Po

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 24, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »

Hello there,
Just came across a new music video for MGMT's song " Alien Days ". Very awesome concept for a fan vid. Sounds like they used a live performance of the song for the audio. Their jam at the end sounds beautiful. Can't Wait for the Final version!!!! Enjoy!

MGMT - Alien Days (Music Video - HD)
So you made it?

My ears are exploding. I'm so excited for any 12 year old who listens to this song and gets turned on to MGMT. Welcome down the rabbit hole fellow kittens; you won't be back up for quite some time ;).

Couldn't agree more!

Bubble